Harper Lee’s second book, ‘Go Set a Watchman,’ to be released in July

IMAGE / Wikimedia / The New York Times

Harper Lee plans to publish “Go Set A Watchman” July 14.

This summer, most high school students will try and stay as far away from education as possible.

However, some people do enjoy reading in the summer.

One book every student should put on their summer reading list is “Go Set a Watchman” by Harper Lee. If the name sounds familiar, it is because Lee wrote “To Kill a Mockingbird.”

Published in 1960, “To Kill a Mockingbird” is a staple in every high school around the country. At Kearsley, the book is read in every freshman English class.

“Go Set a Watchman” is a sequel to “To Kill a Mockingbird,” although the book was written before “To Kill a Mockingbird.”

The story contains a series of flashbacks of Scout’s (Jean Louise Finch) childhood.

Lee discarded the manuscript after her editor told her to write a new story surrounding Scout’s childhood, told from Scout’s point of view.

“To Kill a Mockingbird” has sold over 30 million copies and was made into a movie in 1962.

It tells the story of Scout’s father, Atticus, as he tries to defend a black man in a rape trial. Scout and her brother Jem show the discrimination in the south during the Great Depression and reveal the mystery behind their neighbor, Boo Radley.

The new story, “Go Set a Watchman,” is set 20 years later with Scout coming home to visit Atticus.

I am partly excited to read it, partly afraid it will not live up to most people’s expectations, and partly afraid for Lee, since her first book was so perfect and she has not published anything since.

— Ms. Kari Shaw, English teacher

Once again, racial tension is a theme as blacks fight for their rights in the 1950s. The story also gets into the complicated relationship between Atticus and Scout.

Ms. Kari Shaw is excited to read the sequel.

“I am partly excited to read it, partly afraid it will not live up to most people’s expectations, and partly afraid for Lee, since her first book was so perfect and she has not published anything since,” Shaw said.

The book is set to be released July 14 and can be pre-ordered from many sites, such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

There has been a lot of discussion surrounding the release of the new novel. Many believe Lee was under the influence of friends when she signed off on the book to be published.

Lee responded by saying she was glad to find the manuscript, and, after hearing from her close friends that it was good, she decided to publish it.

Shaw said, “‘Go Set a Watchman’ should be looked at as its own book. It will be interesting to see how Lee wrote ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ from this new story.”