Ceramics come to Kearsley!

With the new year, Kearsley High School has added an assortment of new classes! 

KHS has been full of kids who have taken an interest in the arts, things ranging from Kearsley’s vocal music program to the studio art class.

One of the newest editions is the Ceramics class!

Ceramics is described as clay made permanent. Clay is used in creating an assortment of things such as pots, cups, bowls, simple decorations, or even sculptures. 

Mrs. Courtney Wolf is the ceramics teacher here at KHS. She has been a teacher in Kearsley schools for twenty-one years and has a clear admiration for the arts.

When reporters asked why she decided to turn ceramics into a full class, Wolf explained, “I noticed in my Intro to Art classes that every time I brought out clay, students got really excited.  I found that even students that don’t love school, seem to really love clay.” 

As students began to turn in assignments, Wolf added, “I also love seeing the creativity students show when working with their hands. It was a nice new offering in our course schedule that gave students with prior art experience another opportunity to try something new.”

This was no surprise as most students who have had Wolf proclaimed excitement during any clay unit and showed off their works to peers.

While in class, Wolf gives live demonstrations with a sample student project to ensure that the students have something to reference when they are working. The students first assignment this year was a custom made stamp. This stamp is for students to mark all their work without any confusion.

This allowed students to get a feel of the clay and a basic idea of how to work with it. When Wolf was asked why clay is so enjoyable, she explained,  “I think working with clay is really relaxing.  I think it’s really fun to make things with your hands and watch things you envision in your head come together by working with clay and clay tools to create it.”

Students even outside of artsy kids tend to be curious about clay products as many of them have pieces in their homes. Some students want to make gifts or goodies for friends and family.

Wolf proudly notes, “I also love watching students be excited about art and working with clay.  It’s really fun to watch kids be proud of their finished pieces and have the satisfaction of working through all the phases to develop a final project.  There is a ton of satisfaction for me in watching you guys be proud of yourselves when you put a lot of time and effort into something.

Ceramics is a crazy amount of fun and truly something anyone can get lost in, just as Wolf says, however, there are some requirements. Students have to have had some sort of art class, preferably Intro to Art or Drawing and Paint before they can take ceramics. This is because students need to have a basic understanding of what art is, along with all its components, so that they can produce work they can feel proud of.

So, will you get your hands dirty and join Mrs. Wolf?