Hunt’s classes make Halloween cards for fourth-graders

IMAGE / Mrs. Rae Puffer

Fiedler students in Mrs. Rae Puffer’s class smile with the cards from Ms. Diane Hunt’s psychology classes.

Fall is in the air, the leaves are changing colors, and students from KHS and Fiedler Elementary share their excitement with Halloween festivities.

Students of Ms. Diane Hunt’s psychology classes have followed the tradition of sending cards to Mrs. Rae Puffer’s fourth-grade class.

Hunt’s students decorated cards in the spirit of Halloween.

Each student of Hunt’s class had the opportunity to pick an elementary student and decorate a card for them.

I feel like it’s very rewarding to know that my card could bring a child joy and make them feel special

— Mallory Simms, senior

Senior Mallory Simms made a card for one of the fourth-graders and is thankful she was able to participate in the activity.

“I feel like it’s very rewarding to know that my card could bring a child joy and make them feel special,” Simms said.

The high school students made the cards in hopes that they would not only warm the hearts of the younger students but also encourage them to be enthusiastic about going to school.

Hunt’s classes have made cards for Puffer’s class since last year for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Valentine’s Day.

The elementary students’ reactions are what makes the activity worthwhile for Hunt’s class.

“Their response says it all,” Hunt said.

This year, Hunt’s classes also prepared Halloween bags for Puffer’s students.

The cards and bags brought not only excitement to Puffer’s students but also happiness.

“Some students mentioned to me things like, ‘The letters make me feel so happy,’  ‘The student (from Hunt’s classes) encouraged me to make new friends,’ and, ‘I hope I can get to meet my new friend,” Puffer said.

Students from Puffer’s class admired their cards throughout the day.

“Some students leave the letters or cards on their desk all day and continue to read them over and over again,” Puffer said.

With the tradition continuing, Puffer’s students look forward to the cards and creating their own.

“Not only do my students get excited to receive the letters and cards, they are excited to write back too,” Puffer said.