Kindness is encouraged among students, faculty

Jenna+Robinson

Jenna Robinson

Kindness, according to Oxford Dictionaries, is defined as the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate.

Kindness, in my opinion, can be defined as so much more.

Anything from a smile in passing, to a genuine compliment.

Words, things, or feelings.

Big or small.

Kindness can be defined in many different ways and be found throughout many different places.

Junior Niccos Patrick thinks kindness itself is a rare occurrence.

“True, genuine kindness is something that is sadly rare nowadays. But to me it is when a person can look beyond all the hatred and the ugly in the world and still find a reason to smile and help others along the way,” Patrick said.

I couldn’t agree more with Patrick’s explanation, looking past hatred, barriers, and differences is exactly what kindness is.

People are often blinded by negativity, whether it be struggling with debt, fighting with family or friends, or overwhelmed with school or work, students and adults alike become so caught up in their own life that they forget to embrace or practice any form of kindness.

However, especially with Christmas just around the corner, I’ve found that people are embracing kindness more frequently.

Mr. Andy Nester, government teacher, is initiating a Random Acts of Kindness project with all of his classes.

Some of the acts include “adopting” a KHS faculty member and showing them kindness. This would include things such as giving them a Christmas gift, writing them an appreciation letter, or anything the student could think of to make the person smile.

Nester also plans on creating a “RAK Challenge Tree.”

By turning his door into several large Christmas trees for the KHS door decorating contest, Nester plans to tape on cards with a challenge to students or faculty members to do something kind for someone. Participants can take a card and take the challenge, or give the card to someone who will.

Lastly, Nester is raising money for a needy family for Christmas. Each student is asked to bring in $20 if they are able to in order to provide a family with an enjoyable holiday.

This is only one of the many faculty members who are embracing the idea of kindness.

Although kindness is making a huge appearance at KHS, the school walls aren’t stopping it from appearing elsewhere.

Two weeks ago my parents and a friend had volunteered at the Ennis Center for Children and helped fill Christmas bags with toys and books collected by my mom’s coworkers.

Afterward, we decided to go out to eat. Four adults eating would mean that it wouldn’t be a cheap bill, but after finishing our meals the waitress stopped by and told us our bill had been taken care of.

We were all in shock and had tears in our eyes. My mom asked who and the waitress said it was the mother who was previously sitting behind us with her two children.

Now, usually when people pay for someone’s meal it’s someone without children, and they definitely aren’t paying for an entire family.

This was extremely kind, and the woman had no reason to do it.

Making a stranger’s day with no reason to and with no gain from it, well, that is kindness.

It’s easy to get caught up in the little things. To become close-minded and forget about others.

So stop and take a moment — take a few moments — this month and every month thereafter to be kind to someone.

KHS alumna Tina Lovik believes kindness to be showing empathy to others, without thought of oneself in the matter.

“(Kindness is) something that is done without the need to be recognized,” Lovik said.