Students skip school for a variety of reasons

Amellia+Vasquez-Collins

IMAGE / Mr. Darrick Puffer

Amellia Vasquez-Collins

There are countless reasons students miss class and skip school. Skipping has always been a problem at Kearsley, but according to Mr. Greg Oaks, head of security at KHS, skipping has improved in the last few years, meaning fewer students are doing it.

Here are some of the reasons students may have for skipping classes:

1) Assignments being due and upcoming tests

Strangely enough, some students skip for the sake of their grade. If they have a test coming up in political science, for example, they may skip so they have extra time to study and prepare.

2) Nice weather

It is difficult to ignore the excited and upbeat nature of the halls near the end of the year. In the spring, students are anxious to be done with the school year and are less motivated to attend school.

Oaks said students will “stick around” early in the year because “in the fall they’re excited to see their friends, so they don’t wander off.”

3) “Senioritis”

Many great students become bored with the typical school day and a schedule that perpetually repeats itself for four years of high school. This phenomena can be referred to as “senioritis,” in which seniors become extremely unmotivated and careless.

4) Food

Sometimes school lunches just are not fulfilling enough for students. It is not uncommon for students to skip their lunch hour to make a McDonald’s run.

5) Sleeping in

Among the students that skip because they are lazy, unprepared, or just do not like coming to school, there are students who accidentally sleep in.