Robotics kicks off competition season at Kettering district event

IMAGE / Robert Alarie

Senior Dalton Nofs works on Team 5150’s robot in the pit at the Kettering University district event. Nofs traced the wiring of the CAN cable between motor controllers.

The robotics team competed in its first competition of the season on March 6 and 7 at the Kettering University district event.

The objective of this year’s competition was to stack totes and recycling containers on top of scoring platforms.

The Hornets, Team 5150, took 30th, out of 41 teams, at the end of the qualifying matches.

However, sophomore Hannah Brackin, team safety captain, said the ranking does not tell the full story of the team’s performance.

“Our robot was able to get 40 points for our alliance in two qualifying matches by putting two yellow totes on the step for co-op points,” Brackin said.

Junior Gabe Carnes, robot driver, said that outside of a few issues, Team 5150’s bot performed well.

“We had a couple issues which we were able to fix in time for our next match,” Carnes said.

Carnes said that a large obstacle was finding out what the bot was capable of doing.

Mrs. Brandi Schmidt, lead mentor, was proud of the team, despite its finish.

“I could not be more proud of this team,” Schmidt said.  “Students, parents, families, volunteers, and mentors – they are truly a wonderful group of people.  I am honored.”

There was also a slight break in robot action Saturday, when a surprise guest showed up to speak.

I could not be more proud of this team

— Mrs. Brandi Schmidt, lead mentor

Mr. Dean Kamen, co-founder of FIRST and inventor of the Segway, spoke to the 41 teams in attendance.

Sophomore Dylan McIntire was grateful that Kamen came to the event.

“I think that what Dean created is opening up opportunities for many people to learn and experience new things,” McIntire said.

Kamen said that the FIRST Robotics Competition in Michigan is the fastest program in the United States.  He gave credit for this to Gov. Rick Snyder’s push for STEM, and said that Snyder is a role model for every other governor on this issue.

The Kettering district audience he spoke to had 13 rookie teams participating, the most ever in a Michigan district competition.

The team works on their robot in between qualification matches.  The pits were filled with participating teams working on bots and spectators.
IMAGE / Robert Alarie
Kearsley’s robotics team, Team 5150, work on its robot in between qualification matches at the Kettering University district event. The pits were filled with participating teams working on bots and spectators.  The Hornets worked on improving the tote-lifting arms on the bot.

Kamen received applause when he said that every student should have the opportunity to get involved in a program like this.

“If (kids) can see people that are extraordinarily successful at something that they can see a path to be like, if they can see that people who are good at something with their mind, that it leads to great careers and opportunities, then those kids will work at that,” Kamen said.

As for the Hornets, McIntire said the team has plans to improve the robot’s performance before their next competition March 27.

“We can optimize our lifting mechanism and drive, drive, drive (the robot),” McIntire said.  “Practice won’t make perfect, but the closer we get the better.”