Celebration dinner honors high-achieving seniors

IMAGE / Jenna Robinson

Seniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.9 or higher will attend a dinner hosted by Superintendent Kevin Walworth on Tuesday, April 23.

This year, graduating seniors with a GPA of 3.9 or higher will be honored in a new way.

Superintendent Kevin Walworth is hosting a dinner sponsored by Sovita Credit Union for seniors with high honors, as well as their parents.

The dinner will take place Tuesday, April 23, at the IMA Brookwood Banquet Facility.

“The dinner is something new that is meant to celebrate the hard work that some of our seniors have done for the past four years,” Walworth said. “We wanted to keep it separate from the graduation ceremonies that oftentimes celebrate scholarships, GPA rankings, and specific honors. Instead, we wanted a special night to congratulate both our students and the parents that helped get them there.”

Those attending will be recognized for their hard work throughout high school.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Senior Claudia Moore is looking forward to an evening with her classmates.

The dinner will recognize everyone who has a GPA of 3.9 or higher, not just the traditional top 10.

“Instead of just focusing in on the top 10 and maybe leaving out a student that missed the 10th spot by 0.0001 GPA, we wanted to set a high threshold and congratulate all who achieved this exemplary standard over four years,” Walworth said.

Senior Claudia Moore, who will attend Central Michigan University, is ecstatic about attending the dinner and spending time with some of her classmates.

“I honestly don’t know what to expect,” Moore said. “I am super excited, though, because the other people that were invited are some of my close friends, and I know we’ll all enjoy a fantastic night put on by Mr. Walworth.”

Senior Chloe Clarambeau, who will also attend the dinner, hopes it will be calm and pleasurable for loved ones and peers alike.

IMAGE / Elizabeth Ashley
Senior Chloe Clarambeau will be in attendance for the dinner after earning a 4.017 during her high school career

“I expect the dinner to be a nice time,” Clarambeau said. “I hope that it’s just relaxed and a nice time to spend with my family and classmates.”

For future seniors, Clarambeau suggests going out of your comfort zone by taking more difficult classes.

“Some tips I have would be to challenge yourself by taking difficult classes and making sure you have good attendance,” Clarambeau said. “Taking more difficult classes will better prepare you for college courses, while concepts of that class always come easier when you are in attendance for as many classes as you can be.”