Campus visits can help you plan for college

Near the end of their high school careers, students are often swamped with various information from colleges and universities. These include letters, pamphlets, packets, emails, posters, pictures, and postcards.

These items can be considered informative, but sometimes a piece of paper sent through the mail is not enough for students to make their final decision of where to go to school.

Actually visiting college campuses can give students the knowledge and experience they need to decide which college to attend.

Senior David Jackson said touring and experiencing a college campus is much better than looking at pictures of it.

“I do think it’s important (to take a campus visit) because you can’t really go to a college without seeing what it’s like in person,” Jackson said. “You can’t just base it off what you read on the Internet.”

Campus visits can grant students the opportunity to see college life firsthand rather than looking at photos and reading informational packets.

During most college visits and campus tours, there is an opportunity to see the residence halls, dorms, cafeterias, and other college facilities.

Things like the diversity of the student body, quality of living on campus, and activities around campus can become much clearer when seen personally rather than on paper or online.

It was pretty cold and pretty cool. I learned that they (Northern Michigan University) have an awesome cafeteria, there are small classes, and a low student-to-teacher ratio.

— Bryan Jones, senior

There is even the chance to talk to students, professors, and faculty at some colleges. Students can get a closer look at the credits required for majors and may even have the opportunity to sit in on a class.

On top of the hands-on experience of a campus visit, students are also granted the opportunity to ask any questions regarding the college.

Senior Bryan Jones visited Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Mich.

“It was pretty cold and pretty cool,” Jones said. “I learned that they have an awesome cafeteria, there are small classes, and a low student-to-teacher ratio.”

Jones has made the decision to attend NMU and was positive of his decision after taking the visit.

Mrs. Colleen Grathoff, career development facilitator, said visiting colleges is important.

“Every single campus is different, not one size fits all,” Grathoff said. “(A campus visit) gives you a feel for what the experience at a university will be like.”

According to Grathoff, campus visits allow students to find out the location of places like academic and financial aid offices, libraries, and stores. These places are all major factors in deciding which college to attend.

Students can also get an insight on the clubs and organizations at the college.

Contact the college admissions office or go on their website under admissions. You can either schedule (a visit) with the admissions representative or through the web page.

— Mrs. Colleen Grathoff, career development facilitator

Grathoff suggests taking a campus visit junior year so that students have time to decide where to go. This way no time or money is wasted.

Spring break is an ideal time for campus visits because students do not have to miss school and they can still sit in on college classes.

Though a campus visit may not offer everything needed to decide where to go to college, it can give a more accurate perspective of what colleges are like.

“Contact the college admissions office or go on their website under admissions,” Grathoff said. “You can either schedule (a visit) with the admissions representative or through the web page.”