Seniors lack enthusiasm for voting

This absentee ballot is for the general election Tuesday, Nov. 6. Even though some Kearsley seniors are eligible to vote, most are not registered.

IMAGE / Jenna Robinson

IMAGE / Jenna Robinson

Even though some seniors could vote for the first time Tuesday, Nov. 6, a recent Eclipse survey shows that they are not interested in casting a ballot in the general election.

Out of the Senior Class, about 5 percent of the students are eligible to vote, yet less than 1 percent registered and plan to vote.

Unfortunately, 3 percent of the seniors said they planned on voting, which is impossible since many of those students had missed the registration deadline in Michigan.

These students may not have been aware of the deadline or they may not have known they had to register to vote.

About 3 percent of the seniors also said they don’t feel ready to vote.

Senior Isabelle Easton said she doesn’t feel prepared to vote because she doesn’t know enough about whom she’d be voting for.

“I need to do more research on the candidates because I do not know much about them,” Easton said.

I find some students to be very serious about voting and politics, but they are the minority of students.”

— Mr. Andy Nester, political science teacher

Mr. Andy Nester, political science teacher, is discouraged about the low numbers of students who are registered to vote.

“Given the fact that I am the teacher trying to motivate young people to register and vote, this is disappointing,” Nester said.

Nester encourages his students to do their own research regarding politics.

“I would encourage students to read, watch, and listen to several news outlets,” Nester said. “It is important to hear the stories of the day from many sources and create truth for yourself.”

After hearing the numbers from the surveys, Nester talked to his classes about the proposals on the ballot to further educate them.

Nester said only a select few students use their voices in politics and take a stance.

“I find some students to be very serious about voting and politics, but they are the minority of students,” Nester said.

Senior Joshua Bischoff understands the importance of voting, especially as a student.

“I registered because I understand that if I don’t, then my opinions will not be heard,” Bischoff said. “I would be adding to the problem of people not voting.”

About the Contributor
Jenna Robinson, Editor in Chief

Birthday: Oct. 26, 2000
Hobbies/Interest: Playing electric, acoustic, and bass guitar, as well as ukulele. I also enjoy drawing, reading, writing,...