Wash, Walker lead juniors to second powder puff title

Junior Sydney Walker runs the ball downfield during the powder puff championship Wednesday, Oct. 3. Walker scored two touchdowns for the Class of 2020.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott

The Classes of 2019 and 2020 faced off in hard-nosed, flag football Wednesday, Oct. 3, with the Class of 2020 emerging victorious for the second consecutive year 34-8.

Junior Sydney Walker felt the team had great chemistry.

“It feels good to win again,” Walker said. “That was some good magic out there.”

The game started with a three-play senior drive, which was halted when junior Markayla Shannon picked off senior Jacee Sword.

The juniors capitalized on their early opportunity, as junior Claire Ouellette connected with Walker for a 15-yard touchdown at 19:24 of the first half.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Senior Mackenzie Ramey runs the ball durnig the first half of the powder puff title game. Ramey ended the game on Wednesday, Oct. 3, with 33 yards rushing.

Putting the ball through the uprights on the place kick, junior Taryn Hass gave the Class of 2020 a 7-0 lead over their upperclassmen rivals.

After the seniors turned the ball over on downs at their own 19-yard line, Walker continued the junior onslaught with another touchdown, though her second came on a 28-yard double reverse.

Hass missed the extra point and the juniors were up by 13 points.

The seniors would not go out quietly in the first half, however.

Senior Aryiana Laney ran the left side of the field to punch in a 47-yard rush at 10:35, and Sword rushed 3-yards for the two-point conversion, trimming the junior lead to five points.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Junior Claire Ouellette drops back into the pocket to pass during the powder puff championship game Wednesday, Oct. 3.

That gap would soon be extended, as junior JaKeira Wash sailed a 9-yard pass to junior Alexis Echols for a score. Hass redeemed herself on the place kick, and the juniors earned a 20-8 lead.

Despite putting together a 61-yard drive over six plays, the seniors were stalled as time expired.

Unfortunately for the seniors, they fared no better in the second half as they struggled to put anything together.

The juniors punched in an 11-yard rush by Wash at 20:00, and Hass delivered again for her team on the extra point, giving them a 27-8 lead.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Senior Aryiana Laney (far left) protects senior Jacee Sword as she rushes the ball. Sword rushed for 37 yards in the powder puff final on Wednesday, Oct. 3.

The seniors made it to the junior’s doorstep, pushing to fourth and goal, but turned the ball over on downs at the 3-yard line.

It only took the Class of 2020 two plays to score yet another touchdown, a pass sent from Wash to Walker for 98 yards. Hass did her job again and the juniors took a 34-8 lead, which they would maintain for the remainder of the game.

Overall, Wash was 2-of-4 passing and had 211 all-purpose yards. She also scored once through the air and once on the ground.

Walker brought in 135 yards receiving and added another 53 in rushing. She scored a touchdown each way as well.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Senior Faith Kannai tosses the ball after a play. The seniors lost the title game 34-8 on Wednesday, Oct. 3.

With only 37 all-purpose yards, Sword was neutralized by the junior defense, who forced three fumbles and caught one pick from the senior quarterback.

Laney, the only touchdown scorer of the senior group, had 44 total yards rushing.

Both defenses had their fair share of tackles, with senior Mallory Simms leading her class with three, and Echols and junior Kamryn Palka matching that number for their team.

Just as could be expected, the juniors were ecstatic to win the championship again.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Junior JaKeira Wash sizes up her opponent, senior Chloe Clarambeau, as she sweeps to the outside during the final of the powder puff game Wednesday, Oct. 3.

Coaches Miss Becca Leslie and Mrs. Stacy Lucas were proud of their team.

“They’re a great group of girls with a lot of talent,” Leslie said.

Lucas said, “They played tough and they played great.”

In three championship games, the Class of 2020 has won twice. The team has an overall powder puff record of 5-1.

The question remains: Will the Class of 2020 continue its dominance next year, or will another class step up and strip them of the title of powder puff champions?

The juniors were in consensus that they will be victors yet again in their next contest.

“We’re going for the three-peat,” Walker said.

Wash said, “We’ll be back next year.”

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Senior Chloe Vollmar puts a move on junior Claire Ouellette as she carries the ball in the first half of the powder puff final Wednesday, Oct. 3.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Seniors rush to the sidelines after defending their goal during the powder puff championship Wednesday, Oct. 3.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Juniors and seniors competed against one another for the powder puff championship on Wednesday, Oct. 4. Junior Alyssa Smith runs the ball in the first half.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Senior Emma Bishoff (far right) looks for an open receiver during the powder puff title game Wednesday, Oct. 3. Seniors Brooklynn Smith (far left) and Jacee Sword look for opponents to defend Bishoff.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Senior Jacee Sword (middle) calls for the snap while Aryiana Laney (left) and Chloe Vollmar line up in the backfield during the championship powder puff game Wednesday, Oct. 3.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Senior Jacee Sword drops back to pass in the championship game on Wednesday, Oct. 3.

About the Contributors
Connor Earegood, Managing editor

Birthday: February 25, 2002

Hobbies/Interests: Hockey statistics, robotics, chess, quiz bowl and trivia, history, Student Council, and Future Problem Solving.

Favorite Quote: “Whatever you do, do it safely, do it legally, and stay out of trouble.” -Darrick J. Puffer

Favorite Book: “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” by Hunter S. Thompson

Plans After High School: I plan to attend the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor to study electrical engineering, pursuing a career in automation and technology. I also plan to contribute to the fan section of “Winging it in Motown,” the SB Nation news site for the Detroit Red Wings, sharing my opinions on the team and its future to continue some form of amateur journalism through college.

Autumn Prescott, Special Projects Editor
  • Birthday: Aug. 2, 2001
  • Hobbies/Interests: NHS, drama club, Freshman Mentors.
  • Favorite Quote: “Find out who you are and do it on purpose.” – Dolly Parton
  • Favorite Book: “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins
  • Plans After High School: Attend a college to get a degree in film and animation or secondary education.