It’s time that I forgive myself, others

Brianna+Horne

Brianna Horne

A lot of mean things have been said to me and have been said about me.

People are cruel and ruthless.

I know that.

But in the months leading up to the end of my senior year, I’ve realized that it is time for me to forgive.

It is time to forgive those that hurt me, to forgive those who ignored me, and to forgive myself.

In freshman year I lost a friend.

After she passed away, some people said we’d forget about her and that it didn’t matter. They made up lies and started rumors about her. Some people even pretended to know her oh-so-well but hadn’t known her at all.

It was infuriating for her friends, her family, and myself. I hadn’t known her for long, but I was close to her and she mattered to me.

To those who angered me in that time: I forgive you for doubting the truth, for doubting the length of her legacy, and for making me cry and complain.

Though it’s hard to forget those things, I can’t let that bother me anymore. I can only remember my friend and the times we had together.

In my sophomore year, I was tormented by a series of awful events.

My friend got into a bad relationship, and despite my efforts, I couldn’t help but get angry and frustrated.

She was my best friend, had stuck with me throughout the years, and had been there for me when I went through tough times.

I couldn’t stand her significant other and the way he treated his girlfriend, my friends, and me.

He would start rumors about me, make me seem like an awful person, and tell her to drop me the next chance she got.

I wasn’t very nice to him, either. I would text him in my defense when I should’ve just ignored him.

So I abandoned my friend in her time of need because I couldn’t hang on any longer.

I regret the decisions I made now that I’m older.

To that man: I’m sorry I got in the way, and I’m sorry you felt that way about me. Since then I’ve held a grudge against you, but it’s time to let it go and move forward. I forgive you for the way you treated me and the way you treated my friend.

To my friend: I’m glad we’re friends again now. I’m sorry that I abandoned you and I hope that we can continue to live our lives as close friends. I won’t ever do that to you again. I also forgive you for being angry at me, despite the sorrow it brought upon me.

My junior year wasn’t as bad, but I feel that it’s time to bring it to light.

I’ve always been the type to protect and defend others, including my siblings. This often angers people and gives them a reason to target me, just for doing the right thing.

One day I was on the bus, just minding my own business.

A pen struck me in the back of the head and I turned around.

A boy was throwing things at me.

All I could do then was glare at him, but he kept it up: another pen, a pencil, an eraser, followed by another pen.

Whack. Whack. Whack. Whack.

I still remember the rage that I felt. I just stood and started screaming, only making it worse for myself.

I was OK, but when it spread to other innocent students minding their own business on the bus, it was time to do something.

To the boy who threw those things at me: I’m sorry you felt the need to do that. I’m sorry that I yelled at you. But it’s all behind me now, and I don’t feel the need to be angry with you any longer. I forgive you for hurting me.

My senior year I lost contact with many people who used to be close to me.

One friend in particular sticks out to me.

We had been almost inseparable since 10th grade. We’d gone to every dance together, had sleepovers, and had fun together.

But suddenly it all stopped.

I didn’t know what I’d done wrong, what I could do, or how to fix it.

This year she only spoke to me a select few times. I did things to help her if she needed it, made the effort to be her friend, and tried to make things better.

Now it seems like we’ve both given up.

To that friend who I miss: I’m sorry I stopped trying. I felt like I was drowning in this mess that I couldn’t clean up. I forgive you for giving up, too. I hope that someday we can be friends again, but for now perhaps it isn’t in our best interest. What happens, happens. There’s always a reason.

Since my first day of freshman year, I’ve matured. While I haven’t always been nice or been liked by others, I know that in the end we all need to forgive each other.

While I can’t include all of my apologies and the people I forgive in one article, I want everyone to know that what happened in high school is staying in high school.

It’s behind us, and it’s time for us to get on with our lives.

I also want to thank those who hurt me for making me stronger and wiser.

Since I’ve done it, I encourage everyone leaving high school to do it; post it on social media, reach out to them, or write them a letter.

Forgive those people that hurt you and make your statement while you can still leave it behind you.

Please, don’t let your anger get the best of you.

Be kind, strong, and courageous.