Engineering, track captivates sophomore Raydoffa Braziel

IMAGE / Connor Earegood

Sophomore Raydoffa Braziel wants to attend Texas A&M to study engineering and run track.

Despite his small stature, sophomore Raydoffa Braziel has many big talents.

From singing to running track, he works to improve every day.

Braziel is 16 years old and has had a passion for running since he was in the seventh grade.

It was then when he joined the middle school track and field team.

Braziel began running for the varsity team his freshman year. He has competed in the 3200-meter relay, the 1600 relay, the 800 relay, the 1600 run, and the 800 run.

His passion for running comes from his desire to win and stay in shape.

“It makes me feel good,” Braziel said. “It’s a good way to stay fit.”

He is extremely energetic and is not afraid of attention.

Singing for himself and others has intrigued Braziel for years.

He began singing at church when he was young.

His role in his church choir has changed as he has aged.

“As I’ve gotten older, I sing more and get solos,” Braziel said. “I sing more at home too.”

Braziel also has a love of art forms besides music.

His favorite film is “Black Panther.”

He feels the movie was a huge success for the black community.

I’ve always had a passion to build things. I’m interested in cellphones and designing them would be a dream for me.

— Raydoffa Braziel, sophomore

“It embraces the black culture,” Braziel said. “The actors did such a good job. They pulled it off.”

Braziel hopes to attend Texas A&M University to study engineering and run for the school’s track and field team. Texas A&M is located in College Station, which is in East-Central Texas.

He enjoys the creativity and use of technology that engineering careers offer.

“I’ve always had a passion to build things,” Braziel said. “I’m interested in cellphones and designing them would be a dream for me.”

Despite his success in track, including earning All-State honors at the MHSAA Division 2 state final this year, Braziel feels focusing on academic success is more important.

“School is the most important thing,” Braziel said. “I can get injured at any time, but I’ll always have my mind.”

Mr. Paul Adas has coached Braziel since his freshman season in track.

He believes Braziel’s determination has helped him to improve in the sport.

“He wants to be successful,” Adas said. “He never makes excuses, and he tries to find ways to improve.”

Braziel looks up to Adas for his constant support.

“He’s been there for me through everything,” Braziel said. “He’s been a good friend to me.”

He also draws inspiration from his grandmother, Mrs. Gloria Braziel, who has been a source of moral support for Braziel and his family.

Braziel said, “Whatever we went through, she always made sure we were taken care of and that we knew she loved us.”

IMAGE / Connor Earegood
Sophomores Raydoffa Braziel (right) and Justice Jennings give each other constant support.

Sophomore Justice Jennings has known Braziel since fifth grade and enjoys his loyalty.

“He’s very supportive and understanding,” Jennings said. “He knows how to keep secrets and will never let you down.”

He believes others have to embrace their strengths and weaknesses to be happy.

“Be true to yourself and don’t do things because you want others to see you,” Braziel said. “Small things can change the world.”