Josling resumes her sport after two-year gap

IMAGE / Kesten Coulter

Senior Maikayla Josling poses for a silly picture after a soccer game this year.

Senior Maikayla Josling is known to be an involved student: playing in the school band, being a part of the robotics team, being the treasurer of NHS, and playing soccer.

Josling didn’t take the traditional route of being involved with sports. As a freshman, she played soccer on the junior varsity team but didn’t continue with the sport the following year.

With all the other activities and having a job, Josling wasn’t able to do all the things she wanted to do.

IMAGE / Maikayla Josling
Senior Maikayla Josling (left) and friend, senior Emily Rose pick flowers in the summer.

She feels like she didn’t give soccer her best effort during her first year playing.

“Freshmen year I didn’t really get into it like I feel like I should have, so I started to get into other things, like robotics,” Josling said.

Josling’s first year on the robotics team was when she was a sophomore. She was part of the building team and they managed to make it to the FIRST world competition in St. Louis.

During her second year on the robotics team, Josling advanced to the drive team. The team, again, made it to world competition with her help as a robot driver.

“I learned a lot, and it was fun,” Josling said. “But it was really exhausting.”

IMAGE / Ms. Gabriella Young
NHS officers stand at the induction ceremony for NHS in November. Senior Maikayla Josling is on the right.

Josling was a member of the NHS and she was chosen to be the treasurer of the group for the Class of 2018

“It’s been an honor to be in NHS with the few events we did,” Josling said. “It got me out in the community more, and I enjoyed it a lot.”

After her junior year, Josling decided that she wanted to take up soccer once again.

Josling had to give up being part of the robotics team and quit her job to fit soccer into her schedule. She remained part of NHS and continued playing for the school band.

To prepare for joining a sport she had not played in two years, Josling decided to join an indoor soccer team. She started going to Planet Fitness to prepare herself physically.

“It was a lot of work to be ready for the season to begin,” Josling said. “I was determined to do well.”

Taking a break for two years made it challenging to get back into the habits of the sport and being in shape was one of her biggest struggles.

“I’m happy I decided to play soccer again,” Josling said. “I love the sport and my team is amazing.”

Josling faced some challenges during her senior year journey.

In the middle of soccer season, Josling got into a car accident and totaled her car. Losing her transportation made getting to practices and games difficult, and she easily lost her motivation to want to continue with the sport.

“I really wanted to quit soccer,” Josling said. “I had to take a break because I got a concussion from the accident. But my coach talked me into staying, and I’m happy I took her advice.”

Thanks to her grandma, Ms. Margo Benmark, and boyfriend, Davison alumnus Kesten Coulter, Josling was able to make it to games and practices. It was a team effort to make finishing the season possible.

“I’m grateful to have such wonderful people in my life making it possible for me to have these experiences,” Josling said.