A Cappella inspires students

A Cappella choir is one of the many advanced electives offered to the students at Kearsley High School.

It is the top choir, and an audition is necessary to become a member of the group.

Melody Makers, Treble Singers, Woman’s Chorus, and Men’s Chorus are the choir classes below A Cappella choir. Melody Makers is also combined with A Cappella when performing in concerts.

Senior Maygen Bailey has been in Melody Makers and the A Cappella choir and believes it is a stress reliever and a place to make great friends.

“I love that during A Cap I can have a class that relieves the stress of the school day, and I can be myself during the class,” Bailey said. ” You become close to the people around you, and A Cap goes everywhere together.”

There are many opportunities for the students in A Cappella choir, such as singing the Canadian and United States’ national anthems at a Flint Firebirds game, performing at a Lansing Lugnuts game, singing at a few convalescent homes, competing at Festival (a singing competition), entering the solo and ensemble competition, and auditioning for solos throughout the year for the many different concerts.

If you are to be a member in A Cappella choir, it takes a lot of work and dedication.

I love that during A Cap I can have a class that relieves the stress of the school day, and I can be myself during the class.

— Maygen Bailey, senior

It is a lot more work than play, there is less room for error, and a lot is expected of each student.

Paying attention, working hard on each song, learning to sight read and complete music theory sheets, and keeping your phone away to show respect are all requirements.

Senior Elise Pariseau is a new member to A Cappella this year. She loves being in the top group, having a challenge in the music, and all of the opportunities.

“I love how we’re the top group, and we all love to sing,” Pariseau said. ” A Cap allows us to sing more challenging music and to go to festival to compete against other top choirs.”

She loves the environment and the dedication that spills out of each A Cappella member.

“Everyone in A Cap is serious about singing, and we sound great together,” Pariseau said. ” I love A Cap because we’re all dedicated to singing.”

Each student learns so much during the year, and many take the lessons they learn with them when they graduate.

In addition, A Cappella is the only class that will have alumni come back and give support at concerts, as well as have former students come back just to say hello and to see what is new with the class.

Mrs. Renee Kotzian, choir teacher, puts a great deal of energy into A Cappella and she cares about each singer dearly.

“I like the kids, and the music of course,” Kotzian said. “There are not many jobs you can find that are this enjoyable, most of the time.”

She believes music is a skill that can be used all through life and that music makes us who we are.

“Singing is a lifelong skill and something you can be a part of even when you’re older. A choir becomes your family and enables you to make friends from all walks of life that you wouldn’t normally,” Kotzian said. “Music is a part of who we are. Going on stage releases endorphins in your brain and is a necessary mood enhancer that can help everyone.”

Many of the students love the class and come back year after year because it is a class to make memories, have great laughs, and learn lessons to take with you.

Senior Hunter Haley loves the opportunities A Cappella brings and the hard work that is required .

Haley said “the surroundings of always focusing on music and the opportunity to travel places with the music we learn” is important. Haley also said, “A Cap is different because it is more hardworking, like a varsity class.”

Haley enjoys learning new things, reading music, and has a love for A Cappella.

“In A Cap you learn music in a new light and have the opportunity to have the ability to read music and have it for the future,” Haley said. “I would personally recommend A Cap.”