Teachers, students have embarrassing moments at school

Students and teachers alike share many embarrassing moments in the school setting.

Everyone has embarrassing moments at some point in their lives, and many teachers and students encounter these moments in the worst of places — at school.

Mr. Michael Simms, science teacher, has had a number of embarrassing moments in the classroom. One being his wardrobe malfunction in front of his class.

“While teaching one day in front of the class as we teachers do occasionally, I was noticing some giggles and such from students,” Simms said. “As this continued, I became a little more insecure and tried in my mind to think of what the kids were giggling about.

“Finally, one student said quietly, ‘XYZ,’ which of course is code for ‘examine your zipper,’ and, oh yeah, my barn door was open.”

Coaches can also have these embarrassing moments.

Mrs. Amy Graham, health teacher, had  an embarrassing moment while coaching volleyball.

“When coaching during a game, I tend to get caught up in the play that is happening,” Graham said. “As I was walking down the bench, the last chair was pulled out farther than the rest.

“I ended up tripping over the chair and hit the big Gatorade cooler on a cart and pushed that cart across the gym.  I ended up flipping over the chair and, somehow, landed on my feet all the while still staying locked into the play that was going on.”

Back when teachers were students themselves, they also had these moments.

Mr. Jack Linn, a former KHS teacher now teaching at Armstrong Middle School, had an embarrassing moment when he was in the seventh grade.

“I was at a pep assembly at Genesee High School as a seventh-grade football player, and I tripped over the microphone cord when I was introduced in front of the whole school,” Linn said. “The school got a good laugh at me.”

Simms recalled a story that occurred to one of his students in his classroom.

He described the student as someone who could hear but wouldn’t listen.

“I had a student in class that was not feeling well right at the end of the hour, so I told him if he was going to get sick to get to the bathroom,” Simms said. “He sat in class and suddenly got up and as quietly as he could, left the class and shut the door behind him. He walked about 10 feet from my door and up chucked on the tile floor.”

Simms then explained the most embarrassing part of the story.

“I quickly went to warn my students. Well, one of the students was a bit of a spaz,” Simms said, “and when the bell rang he ran out of the room, hit the vomit on the floor, and he hit the floor sliding through the puke.

“It was all over his jeans and his hands, and I just shook my head and said, ‘Maybe next time you will listen when someone has something to say.'”

Sophomore Kristopher Perry has recently experienced an embarrassing moment in the classroom.

“I was walking into the classroom and I hit my foot on the door and fell,” Perry said. “When I walked in the class and saw everyone laughing at me, I just laughed with them. I then casually limped back to my desk.”

Sophomore Mary Wheeler has also had a moment like this in theater class.

“One day in theater, my friend and I were stage fighting in Mr. (John) Hall’s room,” Wheeler said. “My friend had to push me down during the fight. I over exaggerated a little too much and ended up falling off the stage.”

Students and teachers alike all have embarrassing moments. Some more embarrassing than others.

“Even though my story was pretty embarrassing, it was also one of the funniest moments of my life so far,” Wheeler said.