Should teen sleep patterns dictate the start of the school day?

Students usually complain that school starts too early and how there is no way they can learn at such an early time.

But if there was anyway that schools could change their time schedules to a later start, would it actually help students out or would it make no difference?

According to the website www.ScientificAmerica.com, teens are actually right that school does start too early.

“Sleep patterns say teens are right,” Mr. Mark Fischetti said in his article. “So do results from numerous schools across the country that have delayed start times. The later classes begin, the more academic performance improves, attendance goes up, teen depression goes down, and fewer student drivers get into car crashes.”

The problem with changing schedules is that it could result in your summer starting and ending at a different time and how late you get out of school at the end of the day.

Senior Mikayla Stevens thinks school should start later because teenagers need more sleep.

“Because of less sleep, people tend to skip more, which results in them not doing well on assignments and tests,” Stevens said.

But many people disagree with schools delaying times.

Their reasoning for not wanting school to start late is because everybody’s schedule would change.

The website www.sleepfoundation.org came up with reasons why it would be a hassle if schools delayed start times.

Here are two of the reasoning’s it suggested.

First, changing the bus schedule would result in schools paying more money.

“Because most school districts have a delicately balanced bus transportation system designed to run as efficiently and inexpensively as possible, any change in the school schedule can have a severe impact,” the National Sleep Foundation said. “The specific circumstances in each district vary, but problems that arise can include cost, recruiting drivers, and/or redesigning the routes.”

Second, after-school activities would run much later.

“High school athletics are very important to many students who have obvious concerns about the impact of a change in start times on their ability to participate,” the NSF said. “Any delay in the start of school will most likely result in a later release time, which may reduce time available for practice and matches (especially daylight hours).”