Is riding the bus a right or privilege?

Gracen+Nelson

Gracen Nelson

Most students believe that they have the right to ride the bus.

But, in my opinion, it should be viewed more as a privilege.

As an underclassman, I rode the bus home from school almost every afternoon.

I absolutely hated it. Students often acted like they had no common sense.

They would hop over seats, stand up the entire ride, be loud, be disrespectful, and the list goes on.

I was grateful to ride the bus because my parents worked so they could not pick me up and I could not yet drive, but I slowly began to hate the bus.

Students ride the bus without giving it much thought since it is usually part of their daily routine.

They think, “If I have to go to school, the bus better pick me up and take me home.”

Students who do ride the bus should keep in mind that they do not have to pay for gas or worry about if they will make it to school or not.

What people need to think about is this question, “Are buses a right or a privilege?”

A right is something you are given automatically. A privilege is something that is given to you out of the trust that you will respect it, and if you do not, it can be taken away.

Bus rides, in my opinion, should be a privilege.

It should be given without having to earn it, but if the student abuses the bus or disobeys the rules, there should be some reprimands.

Students who get into trouble at school should not be allowed to ride the bus.

If students get written up or suspended, they should also have their bus privileges taken away.

If students get suspended for one week, the next week they return to school, they should be kicked off the bus for a week as well.

Many people will disagree with this, but is it fair to the students who are well-mannered and have to deal with ignorance of the misbehaved students?

Keep in mind that bus drivers have to settle down students who misbehave.

It’s a double edged sword. It’s a privilege and a right. Some student’s parents work or some do not have a car to get to school. Students are expected to behave and respect the bus and those on it.

— Ms. Sandra Penny, bus driver

They even have to pull over the bus sometimes to deal with students who will not act properly, making the students who behave wait longer to get to school or get home.

For the bus drivers, being safe on the road is their first priority and dealing with students who cannot follow directions hinders their ability to drive safely.

Ms. Sandra Penny, bus driver, had a hard time determining whether or not bus rides are a right or privilege.

“It’s a double edged sword. It’s a privilege and a right,” Penny said. “Some student’s parents work or some do not have a car to get to school. Students are expected to behave and respect the bus and those on it.”

All students are expected to follow the same rules and regulations as they do in school.

Students should always remember to respect others on the bus and that riding the bus is a privilege, not a right.