Adas wants your books

Mr. Paul Adas is on a mission to get books in order to expand his library and expand students’ minds.

He is accepting any novels that students would be interested in diving into.

Books can be dropped off in Room 117.

Adas, an English teacher at the high school for 27 years, has been interesting in expanding his library for quite some time now, only having a small shelf in his room with few books just does not satisfy what he wants for his students.

He has around 30 books right now, but the goal is to have over 500 books for students to choose from.

“It is imperative for students to have a wide variety of books,” Adas said. “I am certain students will find time to read if they are able to choose books that they are interested in. Currently, my library is insufficiently stocked and is unable to meet the needs of my students.”

Adas said reading is beneficial in many aspects, and he believes it also improves test scores.

Ultimately, my goal is to get students to enjoy reading so that they will read on their own and become readers for life.

— Mr. Paul Adas, English teacher

“Reading is extraordinarily important for student success in all subject areas. There is a direct correlation between students reading more and scoring higher on their SATs,” Adas said. “Ultimately, my goal is to get students to enjoy reading so that they will read on their own and become readers for life.”

Most people find that one book they just cannot get enough of.

Junior Rian Schulz is an avid reader who has finished well over 400 books.

Schulz said, “’Wuthering Heights’ is my favorite book because it has a certain quality about it. It entrances the reader but also brings in the knowledge of a different time period.”

Schulz reads because it takes her to a different place just like Adas.

My favorite authors are Stephen King and Dan Brown. I will read anything that involves the legal system or solving murders.

— Mr. Paul Adas, English teacher

Adas said he enjoys reading to enter the mind of another person and get away from a teacher’s lifestyle.

“My favorite authors are Stephen King and Dan Brown. I will read anything that involves the legal system or solving murders,” Adas said. “I enjoy reading these types of novels because I am able to escape my life as a teacher and immerse myself into the role as a lawyer or homicide detective.”

Anyone can help Adas and his students by donating a book to fill his shelves.

The featured image is from flickr.