NHS members are held to high standards

IMAGE / Hannah Coon

President Hannah Ploof has some advice for juniors who want to be in National Honor Society.

Being inducted into the National Honor Society is an honor, but when you are a junior with inductions coming up on Nov. 19 it is hard to know what the expectations are.

Throughout the year, NHS meets once a month in the morning before school. Students must be willing to commit to being on time for these meetings even though they are at 6:45 a.m.

Along with attending the mandatory meetings, students must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher to remain in the group.

A minimum of 15 service hours per semester is required for each member. Dues are also mandatory and are $5 per semester.

Students must also behave appropriately at school.

Failure to do so results in probation, and if the student keeps violating one of the standards it may lead to being removed from the group.

For the NHS officers, the stakes are even higher.

NHS President Hannah Ploof said officers must be organized.

“We must be leaders to our group and make sure that everything runs smoothly,” Hannah said.

Juniors who may be considering running for a position for the 2016 school year may want to contact the current officers about all of their tasks before making a decision.

NHS officers have to meet twice as often as the other members and run the meetings.

Officers work with Mrs. Colleen Grathoff to help plan chapter events.

Chapter events require all NHS members to be involved, and NHS does two a year: the Daddy Daughter Dance and one related to the organization NHS is donating to that year.

Overall, NHS is perfect for the students who strongly value good grades and community service.