Seniors struggle to stay motivated

Losing motivation can be a big problem for seniors.

Now that the first marking period is over and the school year is dragging on, seniors are having trouble finding motivation to complete their school work.

So stay focused seniors.

Seniors have been doing last-minute work, especially when writing essays for the senior project.

I have observed many of my classmates writing their essays an hour or two before they are due.

Not all seniors are irresponsible, but it can be hard for the Senior Class to keep up.

Senior Jasmine Patrick said, “It’s hard to stay motivated because you’re so close to just being done, and you want to give up.”

Students cannot slack off though.

This may be the seniors’ last year, but they should still keep in mind that the grades they earn now affect their GPA. Colleges still see the grades they earn during their senior year.

A loss of motivation also correlates with how students just do not care. Senior Kate Weycker is one of these students.

“I have had senioritis since second semester junior year,” Weycker said. “Literally, (I) will have homework every single day. But I don’t do it because I don’t care.”

Many seniors who signed up for hard classes are now regretting that decision, especially for those in AP and human anatomy.

Senior Mikayla Stevens has some advice for underclassmen.

“My word of advice is to take blow-off classes all senior year,” Stevens said. “You will thank me later.”

I do not completely agree. If seniors decide to take blow-off classes, they are setting themselves up for failure in college.

I decided to take a higher-level math class this year so I would be prepared for math in college.

Students who are taking accounting or marketing may have trouble in college math because they took an easier math class their senior year.

Students assume that senior year will be the easiest. But, although this is the last year of high school, it does not any get less difficult. If anything, it gets worse.

Besides keeping track of and attending meetings and other activities, seniors have to pay for cap and gowns, senior pictures, and worry about their senior projects.

In addition, seniors also have an abnormally hard time attending school.

Seniors average 349 absences per day for the entire class.

Seniors have the second highest absenteeism record, behind the sophomores, and they need to start being wary of the reprimands for being gone.

If seniors miss more than nine days of school, without making up the days on the make-up days, they will not be permitted to attend prom.

Seniors should be aware of this policy because prom is special since it is only for seniors.

Most students look forward to prom and it would be a shame to be banned because they missed too much school.

Seniors need to recall their first year in high school. As freshmen, many of your classmates failed first marking period.

Maybe you did or almost failed. Do not get lazy now and do not develop old habits you had as freshmen.

Keeping that in mind, future alumni should not become too stressed over school. This is the last year of high school, and it should be spent with friends and having fun.

There will be many lasts during the year, so seniors should enjoy them and make amazing memories with friends.

So, future alumni, finish your last year of high school strong, and do not forget to celebrate all of the hard work you have done to get where you are now.

You have earned your senior status, so do not let losing your motivation stop you from doing well or stop you from having an amazing senior year.