Seniors honored by Kiwanis as scholar-athletes

Seniors Mackenzie Chappell (left), Kaitlin Dormire, and Kayla Emmendorfer were honored by the Flint Kawinis as scholar-athletes on May 21 at the Genesys Conference Center.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Kearsley Athletics Department

The Flint Kiwanis Scholar-Athlete of the Year banquet held at Genesys Conference Center honored three Kearsley seniors May 21.

Seniors Kaitlin Dormire, Mackenzie Chappell and Kayla Emmendorfer were all awarded.

Dormire has played varsity softball all four years of her high school career. She has earned first team All-League and made the All-District team  in 2013 and 2014, as well as earning All-State honorable mention in 2014.

Dormire has also obtained a 3.5 GPA and will continue her love for softball next year at Cleary University in Ann Arbor, Mich.

“I have played 13 years of softball because I love it,” Dormire said. “But it wasn’t until high school that I realized I was in love with it.”

Just as Dormire excelled in the classroom, she also excelled in athletics.

“I’ve been on varsity all four years,” Dormire said. “Sophomore year I played outfield, and my last two years I’ve been at first base.”

Dormire exceled on offense.

It wasn’t until high school that I realized I was in love with (softball).

— Kaitlin Dormire, senior

“I have hit 15 home runs so far for my high school career,” Dormire said. “But this season isn’t over just yet.”

Even though Dormire has enjoyed success in softball, she plans to to achieve a little more. Her plan is to reach All-State first team.

Chappell is the second Hornet honored by the Kiwanis.

Chappell has been an All-League performer in golf, and she qualified for the state final as an individual her senior year.

In college, Chappell will golf at Point Luma University in San Diego.

Chappell explained the obstacles she faced during the season.

I was proud of how I ended my golf career for my senior year.

— Mackenzie Chappell, senior

“At first I didn’t start well,” Chappell said. “Health problems, missing an important tournament that would result in me losing conference and state honors, and the normal inconsistency of my golf game all affected me.”

She then explained how she overcame these obstacles.

“By the end of the season I stepped it up and ended up competing at the state finals,”  Chappell said. “I was proud of how I ended my golf career for my senior year.”

Chappell was honored to be recognized at the banquet.

The final Hornet honored by the Kiwanis is a bowler.

I’m lucky to have been a part of such a great (bowling) program all four years of high school.

— Kayla Emmendorfer, senior

Emmendorfer has bowled all four years of her high school career on the varsity team, winning four league and regional titles, as well as claiming three state championships.

She has earned All-State honors and has signed her letter of intent to bowl at Arkansas State University next fall.

“It was such a rewarding experience to be awarded,” Emmendorfer said. “I’m lucky to have been a part of such a great program all four years of high school.”