Students benefit from parks and recreation

A+sign+warns+drivers+to+look+out+for+animals+at+the+Shiawassee+National+Wildlife+Refuge.+

IMAGE / Amelia Vasquez-Collins

A sign warns drivers to look out for animals at the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge.

The stereotypical grandfather that rambles about how the youth does not spend enough time outdoors speaks from experience and honesty.

This generation, commonly referred to as the Millenials, has grown up in the peaks of a technological age, and it is not surprising that children would rather be inside playing video games, sitting on the computer, or watching TV rather than participating in outside activities.

This stereotype is not true for all of the Millenials, as many of us enjoy spending time outdoors and take advantage of the trails and parks that local, state, and federal organizations provide for us.

There are many places in Genesee County that give adolescents here the opportunities they need to get outside and be active.

Genesee County Parks and Recreation is the largest county park system in Michigan, and has over 11,000 acres of parks, trails, rivers, lakes, and campgrounds.

This makes the outdoors readily available to Kearsley students, and many of them take advantage of it.

I’m selling my Xbox today, actually. I grew out of it.

— Alex Black, junior

Some of the Genesee County Parks include For-Mar, Bluegill Boat Launch, Hogbacks Area, and Stepping Stone Falls, and these are among the most visited by Kearsley students.

Junior Alex Black spends time in a variety of the areas, such as For-Mar, the Hogbacks, and Mott Lake. Black would rather be outside than playing video games.

“I’m selling my Xbox today, actually,” Black said. “I grew out of it.”

Black enjoys fishing, taking pictures of the sunset, squirrels, birds, and trees.

For-Mar is a nature preserve that lies among Potter, Belsay, Genesee, and Davison roads. There are entrances off both Potter and Genesee roads.

My favorite park is For-Mar because it’s the closest to where I live. I like how there’s a lot of places you can’t drive and you have to walk.

— Hunter Clements, sophomore

It is the closest county park to the school district, and it offers 383 acres of wooded and wetland areas, seven miles of trails, and a collection of rare plants and trees.

For-Mar also offers the Forbes and Martha Merkley Visitor Center that has a display of a variety of animals from Michigan, and the Foote Bird Museum.

For sophomore Hunter Clements, For-Mar serves as a nice place to walk.

“My favorite park is For-Mar because it’s the closest to where I live,” Clements said. “I like how there’s a lot of places you can’t drive and you have to walk.”