Senior skip day is not a problem at KHS

IMAGE / Ms. Samantha Chiakan / Wikimedia Commons

The parking lot at Ward Melville High School in East Setauket, N.Y., is empty on senior skip day 2011.

Many students in high school skip school to avoid a test, avoid waking up early, or just because they feel like not going.

The Monday after prom is a very popular choice for senior skip day.

Senior skip day is a tradition in high school. Assistant Principle Matt Moore said senior skip day was a thing when he went to Kearsley 30 years ago.

“I have a lot of seniors who are close or over in their attendance and are worried about their final exams,” Moore said. “I wouldn’t recommend anyone skipping at all. If they skip, they’ll put themselves in jeopardy of going over in attendance.”

Moore also wants to emphasize that senior skip day is not an official school day off, so if students skip, it will be counted against them.

In order to graduate, a senior must complete 22 credits.

According to school polices, students who have over nine absences in a class must pass the exam with a C+ or higher in order to receive the credit for the class.

Therefore, students who do not pass with a C+ on the exam will not receive the credit, which may cut them short on the graduation requirements.

However, it seems as if senior skip day is not such a popular event for seniors as what some people believe.

On a normal day, 90 percent of students attend school, according to Mr. Brian Wiskur, principal.

But last year’s senior skip day for the Class of 2014 had an 89 percent attendance rate. Therefore,, according to the data, senior skip day is not popular at Kearsley.

Popular or not, many seniors will choose to skip school.

Senior Lily Campeau is excited to skip on senior skip day.

“Yeah, I’m skipping. It’s a reason to not come to school,” Campeau said.

But just a few seconds after making her comment, a friend reminded her that she had a soccer game that day. Her smile quickly turned into an angry scowl.

Why?

Because if athletes do not attend school the day of a game or meet, they cannot participate.

“I’m really angry now. I can’t skip because of my soccer game,” Campeau said.

Senior skip day has been a tradition for a while. My sister skipped her senior year. She was bragging about skipping, and I was jealous. Now that I’m a senior, my parents are letting me skip, since they let my sister skip.

— Jake Miller, senior

Senior Jake Miller is also a senior who plans on skipping.

“Senior skip day has been a tradition for a while. My sister skipped her senior year,” Miller said. “She was bragging about skipping, and I was jealous. Now that I’m a senior, my parents are letting me skip, since they let my sister skip.”

Miller said that he is not over his absences; however, he knows that many people are not skipping, since they have too many absences and are worrying about graduating.

If seniors do plan on skipping, they must be aware of the consequences of skipping.

Senior skip day is not an official day off.

Since students must get a C+ or better on their exams if they are over nine absences, and they must have 22 credits to graduate, some seniors may want to attend school.

Seniors, don’t let one day ruin your chances of a brighter future.