AP students to take exams in May

IMAGE / Ruth Erickson

AP tests are known for their high level of difficulty. Students often make jokes about dreading the day of test.

Every year, students who take Advanced Placement classes have the opportunity to take an AP test to earn college credits.

The AP tests take place the first two weeks of May, beginning May 4 and going through May 15.

Students have excused absences the day of the test, but they are responsible for getting a ride. Students will take their tests either at the Genesee Intermediate School District or at the Knights of Columbus hall in Davison.

The cost of each test is $91, but if a student is eligible for free or reduced lunch, they can pay the discounted price of $5.

Although a student does not have to take the AP class to take the AP test, it is highly recommended.

Senior Miranda Blaine took the AP English Language and Composition test last year after having the AP class.

Blaine did not take AP English Literature and Composition this year but plans on taking the test anyway.

“I took the AP Language and Composition test last year and scored a three,” Blaine said. “Since AP Literature and Composition is supposed to be easier, I am sure I will get college credit.”

The scores on each AP test range from one to five, with a five being the best score.

Depending on the college and the test, certain scores can earn students college credit.

For most colleges, a three or above counts as college credit, while other colleges, like the University of Michigan, usually want a four or a five.

College score requirements can be found on the college board website.

This year, 49 students are taking a total of 72 AP tests.

There is a record number of students taking the AP English Language and Composition test.  Twenty-three students, over two-thirds of the AP English class, will take the test. The most in any previous year was 12.

This year, there are a few seniors who graduate with anywhere from three to 21 college credits, mostly because of AP tests.

Mr. Craig Golembiewski, guidance counselor, is in charge of AP testing. He agrees that AP tests are becoming more popular.

I am not sure how I will do, but I want the experience. We have been studying the AP curriculum all year from our AP books.

— Alexis Schwartz, sophomore

I believe that students are starting to recognize the potential value of taking AP Exams,” Golembiewski said. “Scoring well enough to earn college credits could mean potential savings of thousands of dollars. Also, it increases the likeliness of graduating with a bachelor’s degree in four years, which is something that has become a rare occurrence.”

This year will be the first time 13 sophomores will take the AP World History test.

Sophomore Alexis Schwartz is taking the test, but is unsure if she will receive college credit.

Schwartz said, “I am not sure how I will do, but I want the experience. We have been studying the AP curriculum all year from our AP books.”

This year was a transition for Honors World History. Next year, Honors World History will officially be AP World History with the AP course GPA boost.

For the past three years, there have been no AP Microeconomics or AP U.S. Government and Politics classes because not enough seniors signed up for them. With the classes back this year, many seniors will be taking the tests.

I look forward to two free days off of school while killing my brain.

— Miranda Blaine, senior

Seniors may also be taking AP Calculus AB or AP English Literature and Composition.

Blaine said, “I look forward to two free days off of school while killing my brain.”