Boys basketball takes on Oxford

Sophomore+DaKari+Neely+lining+up+for+a+free+throw.+

IMAGE / Emily Schanick

Sophomore Da’Kari Neely lining up for a free throw.

On Monday, March 7, the Hornets traveled to Davison to take on Oxford in the first round of Districts.

Kearsley came out hot with sophomore Donovan Harrington scoring the first basket of that game on a drive.

Oxford matched Kearsley’s intensity shot for shot, ending the first quarter with both teams tied 11 to 11.

Early in the second half, sophomore Dylan Ruhstorfer made a vital play, stealing a pass from Oxford and passing the ball to sophomore Da’Kari Neely who got an and-one, finishing the three-point play.

At the end of the third quarter, Oxford holds the lead by two points with a score of 40 to 38.

Kearsley fought back hard coming out with Harrington driving to the hoop and drawing an and one finishing the three point play to bring the score to 42 to 41, with Kearsley trailing by one.

Oxford tried growing the gap but senior Tyler Csintyan got a put back tying the score 45 to 45.

Tyler Csintyan was the second highest scorer of the game with a total of 17 points.

In the end, Oxford ran away with the win, with the final score being 71 to 65.

This game was the final one for many seniors on the court.

Senior Gavin Malenfant joined the team this year.

“I felt nervous,” Malenfant said, “I haven’t played for long, but I wasn’t ready for the season to be over yet.”

Senior Derrick Phipps has played basketball for all four years of high school.

“The game was filled with a lot of different emotions,” Phipps said, “I was honored to be playing with those guys, but I wished we had more games left.”