Students Swarm Back to the Hornets Nest

IMAGE / Hailey Price

The student run ‘Hornets Nest’ is back up and running for the 2021-2022 school year.

For the first time in 2 years, the student run Hornets Nest has reopened for the 2021-2022 school year.

While the store is under new management with new retail teacher Mr.Berkey, things are running smoothly.

The last time we saw the Nest in full effect was early March 2020, it was shut down due to the pandemic and remained closed for the 2020-2021 school year.

Berkey was pleased with the opening of the store.

“We had our grand opening on Monday September 27th and everything went well. My retail students were really exited to open for the first time in over a year… Each member of our retail team has a role to play and they seem to have taken on their individual roles with enthusiasm,” said Berkey.

The store has a wide variety of products from candy and snacks to Kearsley hoodies and t-shirts, and slushies and ice cream more recently.

While the store used to reside in the the small room located in the front of the cafeteria, it has since moved to the counter nearby.

Senior Zoe Proctor enjoys the new snacks she can get at the Nest during lunch.

“I love going in there to get a slushie, it cools me down during the day. The vibrant taste of the slushy its nothing like you could ever get at speedway, speedway could never compare,” said Proctor.

Students over the years have enjoyed working at the store, and many students enjoy the products they offer for lower prices than the vending machines.

Berkey is looking forward to the Nest’s future.

“We look forward to a great year here at KHS and don’t forget to stop by during your lunch periods to check out some of our Kearsley Hornet apparel and merchandise we have available,” said Berkey.