Exam exemptions come with a catch

Seniors who have earned exam exemptions get to choose what classes they would like to apply their exemptions to in the second semester.

Exam exemptions come with a catch, though.

Seniors must have a passing grade in the class and they cannot have more than nine absences.

These rules are to help keep seniors in school even as senioritis hits.

March 27 was the last day of the third marking period. This marks the halfway point of the second semester, and with nine allotted absences for each semester, some seniors are realizing they have already accumulated too many.

Senior Jaylen Shock has 10 absences in one class and nine in his other classes.

Shock said, “To keep myself under the allotted amount, I have been trying to push through being sick and have a positive attitude due to this being our last year of high school.”

Shock plans to attend one of the make-up days for people who are over in absences.

There will be two make-up days in May before the seniors take exams. The make-up days are on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon in the media center.

One make-up day equals one missed day of school. If students are over 11 absences in a certain class, there is no way for them to make up the days.

Assistant Principal Matt Moore watches over the students who attend the make-up days, and said students can only make up two days.

“If you are a student who has 11 absences, you will be OK (to attend make-up days),” Moore said. “The problem is some students believe they can use the make-up hours towards any class. It does not work that way.”

I think the absences rule on exemptions is fair, and it keeps seniors motivated to come to school in order to not have to take their exams.

— Jaylen Shock, senior

The make-up days are not just for seniors, but many who attend are seniors who want to use their exam exemptions.

As for Shock, he understands he has to attend the make-up days and believes the rule needs to stay in place.

Shock said, “I think the absences rule on exemptions is fair, and it keeps seniors motivated to come to school in order to not have to take their exams.”

Shock has advice for seniors who are close to the absence limit: “For future absences, make sure you have to take it off. Use your remaining absences for emergencies only.”