Juniors beat freshmen in powder puff semifinal; seniors return to championship

IMAGE / Jonathen Hart

Freshman Kennady Streeter (second from left) runs the ball as junior Miranda Hardy (fourth from left) signals she stopped her by waving her belt.

In the powder puff tournament semifinals Monday, Oct. 7, the Junior Class beat the Freshman Class 23-6, while the seniors scraped a 16-6 victory over the sophomores.

The teams will compete in the championship at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 9.

Junior Miranda Hardy led the Class of 2021, scoring two touchdowns.

Senior Jakeira Wash scored both of her team’s touchdowns.

Senior Sydney Walker, running back and wide receiver, thinks the team could have played better. However, she believes that her team will come back to win its final powder puff appearance.

“We have done this (won the tournament) before so I know our full potential,” Walker said. “We have to be ready (for Wednesday). It’s our senior year.

“We have to bring our A-game and play our game. I believe we can do what we have done before — which has worked. It’s up to us to decide if we want to win again. It’s senior season, now or never.”

The juniors will appear in their first championship game, while the Class of 2020 played in the final every year of high school.

The Senior Class is 6-1 in powder puff play and will look to take home its third consecutive title.