Davison, Kearsley think about shifting to balanced-year calendars

IMAGE / NAYRE

The 45-15 balanced calendar is one type of school calendar that is used for spreading out the school year throughout the calendar year.

In recent years, a growing number of schools have transitioned to an academic calendar that balances the amount of time students spend in and out of school throughout the year.

Because students typically forget a great deal of information over summer vacation, this forces teachers to spend time reviewing old information at the beginning of a school year. The balanced-year calendar, according to its proponents, solves this problem by reducing the amount of time students are away from school.

However, this calendar does not change the total number of days students are in class.

There are several plans that schools typically use to get this balance.

Most schools use the 45-15 day plan. On this calendar, students spend 45 days in class and then take a 15-day break.

Other plans include the 60-20 day plan and the 90-30 day plan.

Hill Elementary in the Davison School District has been a year-round school since 1999. Students at Hill attend school for 11 months instead of nine.

The students typically begin the year 11 days sooner than the rest of the district and get out a few days later.

Davison Superintendent Eric Lieske said because of a shorter summer break students keep the information fresh in their minds and there is less time needed for review.

After being in school for about nine weeks, the students receive a week off.

Parents in the Davison School District are supportive of extending the balanced program to the entire district.

Many proponents of balanced calendars believe absences are reduced  for students as well because there are more days open for students who are sick or on vacation.

Davison has seen better attendance at Hill Elementary.

It would be a good choice (to change) because students like me wouldn’t forget the stuff we just learned.

— Noel Nowacki, freshman

Lieske said, “Attendance rates are up. Students feel better about being at school.”

Kearsley freshman Noel Nowacki is in favor of a balanced calendar.

Nowacki said, “It would be a good choice (to change) because students like me wouldn’t forget the stuff we just learned.”

However, this change is not without challenges.

Many people would argue that changing to a balanced calendar would cause problems with extracurricular activities.  If practices and other events do not take place while students are in session, there could be problems.

After speaking with the Davison athletics director and the band instructor, Lieske believes having a balanced calender will not affect these programs during the fall.

But some coaches believe sports that take place in the winter and spring may be affected.

Kearsley’s boys’ basketball coach, Mr. Paul Adas, anticipates problems if Kearsley goes to a balanced calendar.

Adas said, “I believe it will have a negative impact on my team.”

Many issues may arise for the teams that compete during breaks.

Adas said he already struggles with finding transportation for freshmen, junior varsity, and varsity players to practices and games when there is no school in session. He said trying to get athletes to practices and games during a vacation would be difficult.

We shouldn’t (make the change) because kids need a summer to get away from school so they have time to recuperate, maybe get a job.

— Nick Hartwick, sophomore

Typically, an entire school district must approve of the balanced calendar to switch, due to scheduling issues within each school.

Sophomore Nick Hartwick is against the change.

Hartwick said, “We shouldn’t (make the change) because kids need a summer to get away from school so they have time to recuperate, maybe get a job.”

Switching to a different school calendar may be difficult for some students but simple for others.

Nowacki said, “It would be a change, but I would get used to it.”

Davison is strongly considering switching to a balanced calendar K-12, but the final decision has yet to be made.

Kearsley is also considering the switch to a balanced calendar.

Principal Brian Wiskur said that the administration will ensure that everyone has a say in whether or not the calendar will be changed.

Kearsley’s administration handed out pamphlets at parent-teacher conferences Feb. 26. The pamphlets said, “At this time a discussion has not been made to implement a district-wide balanced calendar.”

Wiskur said, “It takes a lot of planning.”

It is made clear in the pamphlet that the new calendar will not be considered year-round schooling because breaks will still occur during holidays, marking periods, and the summer. This means the calendar is a balanced calendar.

Wiskur said that the district is open minded, and if the district does change, it will not happen for at least a few years.

The featured image is from NAYRE.