Singing, dancing will highlight Foreign Language Variety Night

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott

Foreign Language Variety Night encourages foreign language students to perform a skit in either French or Spanish for a grade.

In a typical classroom, students sit quietly to learn. But on Thursday, March 14, students will entertain their classmates and anyone else who’s looking for a good time.

“I like that we can dance and sing and actually move around,” senior Heather McNeill said about Foreign Language Variety Night.

McNeill is performing the song “La Cintura” with her group. Her favorite part of FLVN, which students call “Flay-ven,” is being able to apply her Spanish skills to a physical performance.

FLVN gives students a chance to show off their bilingualism by performing a song in their corresponding language, and it’s the 16th year FLVN has been held at KHS.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Senior Heather McNeill is prepared to perform at Foreign Language Variety Night for her Spanish V class.

The event instructs students to use their knowledge of French and Spanish culture and vocabulary to create a small skit such as a song, dance, or poem.

Mrs. Caitlin Manson, Spanish teacher, appreciates the chance FLVN gives students to grow throughout their time as a foreign language student.

“Personally, I like seeing students grow year to year. Usually in Spanish I, I will get asked about FLVN on the first day of school from a terrified freshman,” Manson said. “But even by the time someone is in Spanish II, they are excited to learn a song and perform. A lot of people come of their shell and make new friends, too.”

Students have plenty of time to practice their skits, using class time to rehearse and perfect their chosen entertainment.

“We practice the entire week of (FLVN) and three days the week before,” McNeill said.

While the performance is beneficial on its own, it also gives students a chance to earn a good grade.

IMAGE / Autumn Prescott
Sophomore Dale Soper (l to r) junior Jolie Timm, senior Valerie Entenmann, junior Autumn Sears, junior Jessica Valley, and seniors Fransisco Rivera-Carrera and Tyler Jamison rehearse for FLVN.

Manson said students are graded on multiple factors that add up to their overall presentation.

“We have a rubric that is the same for all levels that perform,” Manson said. “Essentially, students are graded on memorizing their song lyrics and their expression on stage. They need to make sure they are moving a little bit. They also can get points from for having costumes and props.”

Jolie Timm, junior, said FLVN is useful in learning unique French vocabulary.

“I think it’s beneficial,” Timm said. “There’s been at least a couple times I ended up knowing a word or term because I had to learn it for FLVN.”