College Majors Series: The demand for art majors is on the rise

Yale+University+

IMAGE / Ruth Erickson / Wikimedia Commons

Yale University

The staff of the Eclipse is writing a series about the most popular majors in the United States and the colleges that offer the best programs for them.  This is Part Five of a 5-part series.

Graphic Design

Graphic designers create designs for all types of clients, from advertisements to magazines to websites.

They use a combination of design elements and technology to create layouts for their clients. The designer chooses all aspects of the layout, incorporating their skills and the desires of the client.

Many clients do not know what they want or what they need, so it is the designer’s job to make important decisions in the design.

These designs are important for sales and marketing of products and services.

Graphic designers need at least a bachelor’s degree, but most go on for technical training to meet normal hiring requirements.

The top 10 colleges in the United States for a graphic design degree are:

1. Rhode Island School of Design– $44,284
  2. Yale University– $63,250
  3. Maryland Institute College of Art– $40,850
  4. Carnegie Mellon University– $63,822
  5. Virginia Commonwealth University– $36,576
  6. Cranbrook Academy of Art– $31,916
  7. Art Center College of Design– $36,480
  8. California Institute of the Arts– $43,400
  9. School of Visual Arts– $33,560
  10. Parsons The New School for Design– $67,432

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary of a graphic designer is $44,150.

Students who would like to go into graphic design need to be both analytical and artistic.

Communication is key with a designer’s clients. Graphic designers must be able to describe designs to their clients and be able to illustrate those designs on paper or computer.

Mr. Shane Atkinson teaches drafting and advanced drafting.

Atkinson said, “I think that this is an industry where one must work smart and hard to be noticed. I do not think it is a good vocation or field for people of average motivation. I believe that you need to be ready to really push for work and opportunities.”

Computer skills with different types of programs are important. Most big designs, like a website, can take hours to create an appealing layout to customers.

“Young people today lack two very important characteristics or skills essential to graphic design work: uninterrupted, intense visual focus and attention to detail,” Atkinson said.

Atkinson’s college of choice for graphic design is College for Creative Studies, which is in Detroit, and has been ranked No. 3 in the United States, according to Linkedin.

Young people today lack two very important characteristics or skills essential to graphic design work: uninterrupted, intense visual focus and attention to detail.

— Mr. Shane Atikinson, drafting and design teacher

Atkinson recommends students look at where they would like to go in this field before choosing a college.

“A student who ends up at the low end of the industry or pay scale could feel the cost of education is too high; whereas, a person at the top of the industry or pay scale would probably feel like their cost of education was a value.”

Graphic design degrees are growing because graphic designers play a crucial role in the marketing of products and services.

As marketing becomes more tailored toward certain audiences, graphic designers must help clients display their products accordingly.

Music

A degree in music is diverse and can lead to many different career options including music directors and composers.

Many music majors get into singing or writing music. Other career options with music are to work in film, TV, or video gaming.

Music directors select the music for the auditions, rehearsals, and performances.

Composers write original music or create new compositions from existing music. They work for other music groups like orchestras and bands to create music for them to play.

A bachelor’s degree is needed for most music careers, but some need special training or skills.

Promoting themselves can be as important as the degree in many music careers. People in the music industry must work hard to get higher positions and become more well-known.

The top 10 colleges in the United States for a music degree are:

1. Southern Methodist University– $64,840
  2. Boston College– $060,622
  3. Princeton University– $58,965
  4. Yale University– $63,250
  5. Stanford University-$62,801
  6. Cornell University– $47,286
  7. Brown University– $46,408
  8. Duke University– $63,530
  9. Colombia University– $53,484
  10. College of William and Mary– $34,132

According to the BLS, the median annual salary for music directors and composers is $47,350.

Mrs. Renee Kotzian is the music teacher for the middle and high school. She helps to prepare her students for both sides of music — the knowledge and the application.

Kotzian said, “I try to expose my students to sight reading and theory, as well as performance, which will help my students be successful at the college level.”

Kotzian does not agree that one must go to the best college to get a music degree. She got her degree from the University of Michigan-Flint.

“I was going to transfer to Ann Arbor but found that a smaller department gave me a more personalized education. I really enjoyed my professors and feel I received an excellent education,” Kotzian said.

A student who wants to go into music needs to have musical talent along with interpersonal skills and perseverance.

Music degrees are growing as the need for music directors and composers grow. They play a crucial role in the production of music as well as the management of music in films and TV.