Hypnotist mesmerizes students during show

IMAGE / Emily Rose

Mr. Mike Brody hypnotizes psychology and sociology students in the auditorium Tuesday, Nov. 21.

Senior Hailey Anderson never believed she would meet her idol Harry Styles.

But she did — kind of.

When Anderson was hypnotized by Mr. Mike Brody, hypnotherapist and stage hypnotist, she believed Brody was singer Harry Styles, Anderson’s favorite celebrity.

When she met the famous “Harry Styles,” Anderson began to cry, especially when “Harry” asked her to prom.

They then took a picture together and put it on Anderson’s Snapchat story.

“When people told me what I did, I was embarrassed,” Anderson said. “Especially when they told me that I cried when I met ‘Harry Styles.'”

Brody visited KHS Tuesday, Nov. 21. The show took place in the auditorium and students from Ms. Diane Hunt’s psychology and sociology classes attended.

To start the show, Brody explained to everyone what hypnosis is.

“Hypnosis is a natural state that happens to everyone, everyday, several times a day,” Brody said. “It happens when you are dreaming, when you daydream, even when you are reading a real good book and you feel like you are part of the story.”

No one can be hypnotized unless they want to be.

— Mr. Mike Brody, hypnotist

He shed some light on the myth that hypnotists can control the participant’s mind.

“No one can be hypnotized unless they want to be,” Brody said. “If a suggestion embarrasses or endangers you, you actually snap out of hypnosis.”

Brody then shared the three important rules of hypnosis. These rules are as follows:

1. Do not be hypnotized if you are overly sleepy. This is because hypnosis is “one of the most relaxing, comfortable, and stress-free feelings” and will leave you feeling very tired and relaxed.
  2. Do not be hypnotized if you have an injury such as a sprained or broken arm. When you are in the state of hypnosis you ignore everything around you and block out the injury.
  3. Do not be hypnotized if you take medications for behavioral disorders or anxiety. When coming out of hypnosis, people with problems dealing with anxiety are more susceptible to panic attacks.

After sharing these rules, Brody chose 12 students to get up on stage to be hypnotized.

Anderson was one of these students.

Before going up on stage, Anderson believed in hypnosis and the show just made her believe even more.

She volunteered to be hypnotized because she “wanted to know what it felt like.”

Anderson describes the feeling as being aware of what was happening but having no control over her body.

When she came out of hypnosis she couldn’t remember what happened during the show.

“I remember the feelings I had but not the things I did,” Anderson said.

Another student who was hypnotized was junior Mickeely Dias.

Dias also believed in hypnosis and continues to believe after the show.

She volunteered to become hypnotized because she thought it would be a cool experience.

While being under hypnosis, Dias describes the feeling as feeling “that I was sleeping and that I was the happiest I’ve ever been.”

Dias doesn’t remember much about when she was being hypnotized, but she remembers “seeing a hot boy and not knowing my name.”

After seeing the show in person and having the guy explain hypnosis, I’m a believer.

— Lexis Lafave, senior

Senior Lexis Lafave attended the show but did not volunteer to be hypnotized.

Lafave did not believe in hypnosis before attending Brody’s show.

“I’m a person who has to see it to believe it,” Lafave said. “After seeing the show in person and having the guy explain hypnosis, I’m a believer.”

Brody made the volunteers do and believe many things, but Lafave’s favorite was “when the people were ‘meeting’ their favorite famous person and explaining why they love them.”

Lafave thanked Hunt for letting her students have the opportunity to watch the hypnotist.

To contact Brody, go to his website: www.MichaelBrodyHypnotist.com.