Student Council has grown, wants to do more

IMAGE / Miranda Blaine

Student Council Communications Officer Karmen Bishoff (left) and President Hannah Smith play a game at the Bavarian Inn during the Student Council Christmas party.

Over the past few years, Student Council has blossomed into an appealing organization.

When current adviser, Mr. Jeff Nagy took over Student Council five years ago, there were only about 10 members.

Now, there are over 40.

A lot has changed in Student Council since Nagy took over. A rewrite to the constitution and new goals have modernized the organization.

For example, Nagy wants Student Council to do a lot of community service.

“Right now, we have maybe 1,200 (service hours),” Nagy said. “I know my goal is 1,500.”

Unfortunately, Student Council faces some issues.

“We kind of have a lack of participation (from members) compared to other schools,” Karmen Bishoff, communications officer, said.

Nagy took this issue into consideration when he rewrote the constitution.

He installed a rule called the 75 percent rule. Every member has to attend at least 75 percent of council events or else they will be put on probation and potentially get kicked out of  the council.

Although this rule has helped immensely, the issue of lack of participation still continues.

Another issue is that the council is “not very well backed from our school district and our peers, so it’s hard to accomplish something we would like to do,” President Hannah Smith said.

Even though Student Council has to face these major issues every year, it still manages to do well as a part of the Michigan Association of Student Councils.

Last year, Student Council went to the Michigan Associations of Student Councils and Honor Societies state conference to compete against other high school Student Councils in Michigan for five awards:  Unsung Hero Award, Star School Award, Adviser of the Year, Exceptional Service Project Award, and Award of Excellence.

Bryce Willingham, former vice president, won the Unsung Hero Award, and Nagy won the male Adviser of the Year award.

For the other three awards, the council did not win, but did receive honorable mention in all three categories.

Losing these awards only made Nagy want the council to work harder.

He wanted to have better pep rallies, increase ticket sales for Homecoming, and take more people to States.

I didn’t expect it to be this fun. We do a lot of stuff together. I kind of expected it to be strict and more political.

— Kayla Emmendorfer, senior

So far he has accomplished all of these goals.

Amidst all of the goals, issues, and competitions, people continue to join Student Council.

Senior Kayla Emmendorfer joined the council a few months ago.

“I didn’t expect it to be this fun. We do a lot of stuff together,” Emmendorfer said. “I kind of expected it to be strict and more political.”

But with all of these goals, issues, competitions, and new members, what does Student Council do for the school?

“We basically run Homecoming, which takes a lot of prep for pep rallies and the dance,” Nagy said. “I feel like we need to do more for the school.”

Although council is not at the point Nagy wants it to be, Nagy said it is “definitely in the right direction doing positive things.”

All in all, Student Council has developed into a great organization and is open to more members joining.

“I wouldn’t change anything because I think everyday this (Student Council) is the best group Kearsley has to offer,” Nagy said.