Students strive for safety at self-defense class

IMAGE / Makenzie Schroeder

Sophomore Anthony Harrison (left) and junior Konstantinos Zaravelis practice a newly-learned self-defense move.

The Power of 100 hosted a self-defense class on Dec. 18 after school in the cafeteria.

The class was provided at no charge to any student interested in participating.

About 15 students attended the class, including junior Jacob DePottey.

“The class was very informative”, DePottey said. “Even though I only watched, I still was able to learn a lot.”

Sensei Le Willetts, with the assistance of his wife Lisa, instructed the class.

Willetts demonstrated various types of self-defense tactics, including different types of wrist releases, wrist locks, and knife defenses.

“It doesn’t have to be complicated like a movie,” Willetts said. “Simplicity works.”

Sensei Le and his wife wanted to teach students how to “escape from different holds, attempted abductions” and other dangerous situations.

Sensei Le Willetts(left) and Mrs. Lisa Willetts demonstrate and explain a type of self-defense.
IMAGE / Makenzie Schroeder

“Unfortunately, the way the world is nowadays, there isn’t anywhere out there that’s really safe anymore,” Willetts said.  “The world can be a dangerous place at times.”

Willets aimed to teach the class how to defend themselves at the beginning of a “typical fight.”

During the course of the class, students learned how to defend themselves in different situations, using their legs, forearms, and more.

Junior Konstantinos Zaravelis participated in the class, helping Willetts in demonstrating a few types of self-defense moves.

“I wanted to take this class because I wanted to learn how to defend myself in case of a violent situation,” Zaravelis said.

Sensei Le advises everyone to “be aware” of their surroundings and to make sure your personal space is not being invaded by strangers.

“It’s not a matter of how strong you are, it’s a matter of being smarter than the person attacking you,” Willetts said. “Situations are avoidable.”