Students who toured Paris shocked by attacks

IMAGE / Mme. Kim Rouvelin

A tour group from Kearsley gets together for a picture before departing for Paris last spring.

Several French students who have traveled through France were stunned that the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant coordinated several attacks in Paris on Friday, Nov. 13.

The students traveled during spring break last year, and their trip included visiting Paris.

Seniors Aysia Booth, Trent Kehoe, Taylor Stockton, and Jacobi Wright, along with juniors Emily Harper, Maddy Navarre, Tori Jones, Neil Kagerer, Sidney Shields, and Alyssa Caudle went on the trip.

They are all saddened and concerned by the news.

“I was shocked by it,” Stockton said. “It’s crazy to think that attacks were in a place I was in only months ago.”

Kehoe also felt strongly about the terrorist attacks.

“It’s messed up. They are taking advantage of the weakness of the French,” Kehoe said. “They do not have guns like Americans do (so they cannot defend themselves).”

In light of the recent attacks, some of the students are more hesitant to go back than others.

Stockton said that she would go back again but would be more cautious.

“I would keep safety in mind while I travel,” Stockton said. “Be aware of what’s going on.”

I would keep safety in mind while I travel

— Taylor Stockton, senior

Kehoe also said he would visit Europe again.

“I wouldn’t worry,” he said.

Harper, on the other hand, is not as sure since a newspaper office was attacked before their trip to France last year.

“Something happened before our last trip, too, so that makes me nervous,” Harper said. “I would be hesitant to go on a plane.”

After the attacks in Paris, France has retaliated by bombing ISIL targets in Syria.

The group had some mixed opinions on whether the French government did the right thing by bombing Syria.

“I think that something should be done to show that terrorism will not be tolerated, ” Stockton said. “Is bombing the answer? I’m not sure, but it’s better than nothing.”

Harper agreed with Stockton.

Harper said, “I understand why, but it may have been extreme.”

If it could happen to France, it could happen to us. It will spread.

— Neil Kagerer, junior

Wright felt that the government did not think about the long-term effects of their decision.

“It is going to have some negative consequences,” Wright said. “(And) security will be more tight everywhere.”

There is also concern about future attacks by the terrorist group ISIL.

“If it could happen to France, it could happen to us, ” Kagerer said. “It will spread. “