Students find AP classes challenging, beneficial

IMAGE / Heather McNeill

Junior Sydney Wharram reccomends AP Government and Politics for those interested in that subject.

KHS offers are variety of classes, some more challenging than others.

Some of the most difficult classes students talk about are Advanced Placement World History, Calculus, and Government and Politics.

Sophomore Keegan Cummings finds AP World History challenging.

“I’d say that the questions we have to answer on the tests make it difficult,” Cummings said. “Instead of just memorizing information, we have to think like historians.”

Cummings also believes that the workload for the class is only part of the stress about the class, not the difficulty level.

“The notes we have to take are a lot of work,” Cummings said. “It’s very time consuming.”

In addition to AP World History, AP Calculus is also brought up as a highly challenging class, even for the school’s most intelligent and high achieving students.

I would consider the class difficult because it challenges you to think critically. It isn’t just memorizing the material, but it’s applying what you learn.

— Sydney Wharram, junior

Senior Brittney Dick is currently in AP Calculus and believes it is the hardest class available.

“It’s the difficulty of the work that’s the most challenging part,” Dick said. “Most parts of calculus need to be explained in depth and, quite honestly, the time we have for one class is not long enough to explain just one lesson of calculus.”

Dick describes AP Calculus to be a self-taught class from her perspective.

“I believe anyone who is planning on taking this class should first know there is a lot to calculus that must be self-taught,” Dick said.

Junior Sydney Wharram is currently in AP Government and Politics and considers it to be demanding.

“I would consider the class difficult because it challenges you to think critically,” Wharram said. “It isn’t just memorizing the material, but it’s applying what you learn.”

Although the classes are difficult, students still recommend them to others.

Cummings recommends AP World History.

“I would recommend it for anyone who’s serious about college and or wants a challenge,” Cummings said. “The class gets you to see things in ways you wouldn’t normally see them.”

Dick would advise students to take calculus but believes it to be something that you will have to put a lot of your own time into.

“You must take it upon yourself to learn a lot of things,” Dick said.

Wharram recommends AP Government and Politics because of how it will help you with life in the future.

“Not only is it interesting, but it’s information that we can and should use throughout our lives, which really isn’t true about many other classes,” Wharram said. “It is difficult for sure, but I would recommend it to anyone that’s interested.”

Class difficulty levels vary depending on the person. Some people see one class as difficult while others may not. Although accepting the challenge of taking difficult classes would benefit many.

Although difficult classes may be a struggle, they will benefit you in the long run, according to Wharram.

“Harder classes are beneficial because they are more about understanding what you are learning rather than just memorizing information and copying things down,” Wharram said.