Blue-Collar Job Series: Job growth for auto mechanics is over 10 percent

Mechanics+work+on+cars+in+an+automotive+shop.+

IMAGE / Wikimedia Commons

Mechanics work on cars in an automotive shop.

This is part four of the job series for jobs that do not require a four-year college education.

One interesting career that requires minimal college tuition is an automotive service technician, also known as an automotive mechanic.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, automotive technicians are responsible for inspecting, maintaining, and repairing cars and light trucks.

In Michigan, there are a few opportunities to get a head start on this career pathway by attending training programs offered during a student’s high school years.

Marquette and Alger community school districts offer automotive maintenance programs, giving students in grades 11 and 12 a head start in the field.

Students can receive a certificate from a college in automotive service, which allows them to work on cars as a service technician or repair specialist or sell parts as a parts salesman. This certificate requires one year of schooling.

The next step to progressing further in the field of automotive maintenance is to get a two-year associate’s degree. This degree allows automotive technicians to obtain jobs such as auto body technician, electrical technician, transmission specialist, glass installer, or service manager.

According to the BLS, the median earning for automotive mechanics and technicians is $17.60 an hour.

The national job growth for automotive technicians is 11.3 percent, while the job growth in the Upper Peninsula is projected to be 9 percent.