Blue-Collar Job Series: Tech jobs, nursing offer rewarding careers without a four-year degree

IMAGE / Ms. Hannah Smith / flickr

A registered nurse prepares a flu vaccination.

This article is the first of a four-part series about jobs that do not require a four-year degree.

During high school, counselors and teachers constantly tell students they need to focus on furthering their education by going to college.

Every year college students are graduating with big degrees and no job to show for it. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, about 1.5 million, or 53.6 percent, of bachelor’s degree-holders under the age of 25 last year were jobless or underemployed.

One of the biggest issues with attending college is the amount of debt acquired from student loans. According to The Institute For College Access and Success, about 69 percent of graduating college seniors left school with an average of $28,400.

Students need to get smart about college and realize a bigger degree does not necessarily mean a higher wage or job security.

In recent years there has been a greater push for careers with a technical education that focus on jobs that are in high demand.

According to Career Technical Education more than one million jobs are currently unfilled in manufacturing, trades, transportation, and utilities.

The jobs are usually in the skilled trades, health care, and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) areas.

These technical jobs require two years or fewer of college, allowing a student to get into the workforce quickly and keep college debt at a minimum. Others can be started right out of high school or with an apprenticeship.

Along with fewer years of schooling, the training or degree needed for the jobs can usually be found at local community colleges. Community college is cheaper than four-year universities, allowing students to save more money.

Many people think of nursing as an extensive degree. But, in reality, 77 percent of registered nurses have either an associate’s degree or some college.

Most community colleges and universities in Michigan have some kind of nursing program.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, RNs have a projected national job growth of 19 percent by 2024 and can make anywhere between $23 and $41 an hour, with a median pay of $31.27 an hour.

The majority of RNs work in hospitals, with some working in physician’s offices, nursing facilities, or other areas. Within a hospital, there are many different areas of nursing, ranging from ER to neonatal to surgical nursing.

A nurse can gain experience and move on to become a head nurse or become involved in the administrative roles of nursing, such as a director or chief of nursing.

Although nurses do not always keep normal hours, it mostly depends on the place of work. While an ER nurse will be on call often and need to work overtime or holidays, a nurse who works in a doctor’s office can keep regular business hours.

Nursing is a great career for any student who wants a steady, good paying job and likes helping people.

— Halle Hensley, senior

RNs record patient’s medical information and administer medications or treatments. The well-being of the patient is completely up to the nurse as they work with doctors to care for the patients.

Senior Halle Hensley is going to the University of Michigan-Flint in the fall for nursing.

“Nursing is a great career for any student who wants a steady, good paying job and likes helping people,” Hensley said. “There will always be a need for nurses in all aspects of the medical field all across the country.”

The featured image from this story may be found on flickr.