Chad Stephen strikes his way through life

IMAGE / Courtesy of Chad Stephen

Stephen bowls at the 2015 MHSAA state final.

Like many juniors at Kearsley, Chad Stephen is a busy individual.

Standing about 5-feet, 6-inches Stephen is an approachable person.

Stephen works hard in school and has chosen a career path that seems to be common among students today. An aspiring engineer, Stephen aims to attend Lawrence Technical University in Southfield.

Of the many things that Stephen participates in, Stephen’s favorite pastime is bowling.

Stephen has been a member of the boys’ varsity bowing team for two years. During his time with the team, he has helped the team win back-to-back league, regional, and state titles, as well as earning a singles title this past year.

On top of his high school bowling accomplishments, Stephen has many individual accomplishments as a youth member of the United States Bowling Congress.

Some of his accomplishments include having seven perfect games and three 800-plus series. The 800-plus series consisted of three games each.

The highest series that Stephen has shot was an 817 series, shooting it twice in his high school career.

Courtesy of Chad Stephen
Stephen bowls at Richfield Bowl. Courtesy of Chad Stephen.

On April 12 Stephen shot his second 300 game and second 800-plus series in the individual portion of the Michigan State Youth Championship Tournament, in which he was subbing for a bowler who could not attend the tournament.

“It was very nerve-wracking,” Stephen said. “I stayed focus, one frame at a time.”

Stephen took first place by 60 pins.

His most recent 800-plus series was bowled on April 14 at his Tuesday scratch league at B’s Bowling. Stephen shot games of 298, 264, and 255 for another 817 series, tying his all-time high series.

Sophomore Taylor Davis, from Davison, is dating Stephen and has many things to say about him.

“I’ve known him for about a year,” Davis said. “We met through bowling.”

Junior Chad Stephen (left) and Davison sophomore Taylor Davis take a selfie.

Davis said that Stephen is “funny,” “nice,” and “an outstanding bowler.”

“There is never a dull moment when we are together,” she said. “He is someone who you love to be around.”

Davis said that the times when she and Stephen go out to dinner with friends or hang out together are her favorite things to do.

“It’s crazy to think that as a junior he has three state titles,” Davis said. “I’ve never met someone who wants to bowl as much as he does.”

When Stephen is not bowling or hanging out with Davis, you may be able to find him playing cards with friends. Stephen’s favorite card game to play is Euchre.

Stephen looks forward to many things in the next year. He wants to have another successful season with the bowling team and hopes to either repeat his second individual state title or win a third team title. But, in the end, he just wants to have fun playing the sport.