Blood donors denied for a variety of reasons

IMAGE / Miranda Blaine

The Red Cross turned away senior Rebecca Taylor from giving blood since she had low hemoglobin levels.

The Red Cross comes twice a year to give students ages 16 and above a chance to donate blood. However, many students who meet the age requirements cannot donate blood.

The most common reason why students (mostly females) are turned down is because they do not meet the Red Cross’s height and weight requirements. For 16- to 18-year-old females, they must weigh at least 129 pounds if they are 5-feet, 2-inches. Additional height and weight requirements for both males and females can be found here.

Senior Mackenzie Chappell was denied to give blood at both of the blood drives this year, with the latest drive being April 2.

“I was a little upset. Giving blood is a big deal for me,” Chappell said. “It was discouraging to be denied again.”

Another reason why students get turned down to give blood is because they do not have their permission slips signed. Only students who are 16 have to get their permission slips signed by their parents.

Each 16-year-old student who signs up to give blood gets two different permission slips. Each slip has to be signed and dated by the legal guardian of the student. If not, then the student will be deferred.

Sometimes students get denied because they have low hemoglobin levels.

Part of the checkup is to prick patients’ fingers and run a few blood tests. One of those tests is for a hemoglobin count.

Students must have at least 12.5 g/dL of hemoglobin in their bodies. If not, then they will be deferred.

I was kind of upset. I was looking forward to helping people.

— Rebecca Taylor, senior

Senior Rebecca Taylor had a hemoglobin count of 11.9 g/dL and was denied.

“I was kind of upset,” Taylor said. “I was looking forward to helping people.”

Many other reasons why students can get denied are if they are sick or have certain diseases like HIV, AIDS, and Hepatitis. For more information on eligibility requirements, go to the Red Cross website.

Both Taylor and Chappell have decided that they will try to donate blood again.

Chappel said, “Maybe, someday, when I gain more weight (I’ll donate blood).”