Prom is no longer just for seniors

The senior prom will be held May 2 in the Northbank Center at UM-Flint.

With a drop in ticket sales the past few years, changes needed to be made.

This year, the seniors decided to open up prom to grades nine through 12.

This means that an underclassman does not need to have a senior date to go to the prom.

Seniors hope that this will increase ticket sales.

Senior Andy Lang said, “I am excited the underclassmen can go to prom with us. We can share one of the biggest moments of high school with everyone else.”

Senior Kayla Knight said, “Since underclassmen do not have jobs, they will be expecting their parents to pay for everything. We predict the underclassmen to spend $150 more than seniors on average.”

The theme for the prom is Get Down With K-Town.

Lang said, “The theme goes right along with the new format of prom. If we are going to include underclassmen, then we should stick with themes that relate to all high schoolers.”

Any high school student who would like to go can buy tickets in the main office.

Guest passes are also available in the office. Guest passes must be turned in by April 29.

There is hope that this will boost the local economy with the increased need of dresses, suits, and limousines.

Lang said, “Since my father owns a limousine company, we are excited for this new prom plan. All of the freshman and sophomores who cannot drive will not want to look childish by being dropped off by their parents. That means a lot more business for my dad.”

JCPenney is expecting a 30 percent increase in sales from the additional customers.

Knight said, “Everyone gets dresses at JCPenney, so that is to be expected. But most people will go all out since it will be their first prom.”

If you are happy (or maybe not) about this, remember what day it is today. Happy April Fools’ Day!