Students, teachers have a variety of feelings about prom

IMAGE / Amellia Vasquez-Collins

Senior Josh Etue said prom is expensive.

The prom tradition began in the Northeastern United States and was initially held for college students.

High schools adopted the semi-formal rite of passage dance in the early 1900s. Since then, prom has become a distinct and important tradition in American culture.

Prom is typically considered a landmark event in a student’s high school career, and many students aim to attend the dance.

In addition, many parents support their child’s choice to attend prom by helping cover the costs and logistics of the dance.

Senior Zach Groulx looks forward to prom.

“Prom is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to have fun with your friends before you graduate,” Groulx said.

This attitude about prom is shared among most of the Senior Class.

For senior Arika McClain, prom is one of the last times she can make high school memories with her classmates.

“I think it’s important to go (to prom) because it’s the last high school experience you’ll have,” McClain said.

I think it’s important to go (to prom) because it’s the last high school experience you’ll have.

— Arika McClain, senior

Though most opinions about prom are along the lines of “it’s the last high school experience,” some students express a different point of view.

Sometimes alumni inform their senior friends that the dance is not worth the time and attendance.

“My friends that have graduated said it’s just like any other dance,” senior Josh Etue said.

There are many reasons that students and their parents may be against attending prom, the most common being financial reasons and not having a date.

“My mom said if I don’t go, I’ll get more money to spend for spring break,” Etue said. “And I don’t have a date.”

Senior Tyler Cheadle said that he will not be attending the dance because it is simply too much money for a dance.

Mrs. Kim Guest did not attend her senior prom, specifically because of the cost of a dress.

“A dress at that time, on the high end, was $250,” Guest said. “I wasn’t going to spend that on a dress. I was saving money for college.”

Guest said that she does not regret missing her senior prom, and Mr. Jack Linn’s feelings are similar.

“It just wasn’t my thing. I went to Genesee. We could go to both junior and senior proms, and I didn’t go to either,” Linn said. “Do I regret not going? Yeah, I probably should have gone to my senior prom. I’m not losing sleep over it, that’s for sure.”

There are also students who have not yet decided to attend prom, and some students may not be able to attend because they are over their limit of absences.

Students must also have sufficient grades and disciplinary records for the semester.

I’ve been told I should go by older people, but I feel that it (the prom) could just be overhyped.

— Tyler Gagne, senior

Senior Tyler Gagne intends to go to prom, but he does not know if he will be over his allowed amount of absences by the date of the dance.

When Gagne began to explain his perception of prom, he said he has been told it’s a “once-in-a-lifetime chance,” and literally gestured quote marks with his fingers.

“I’ve been told I should go by older people, but I feel that it could just be overhyped,” Gagne said.