FPS starts season

IMAGE / Connor Earegood

Sophomores Gage Slagor (left) and Aizya Sorensen research international travel in Future Problem Solving practice Friday, Oct. 18, at the administration building.

As fall ends, the Future Problem Solving team at Kearsley kicked off its season Friday, Oct. 18.

Kearsley team members awaited the start of this season since the end of the last.

During last year’s season, all teams qualified for State Bowl.

The club’s Community Problem Solving team, comprised of seniors Delanie Schreiber, Connor Earegood, Jolie Timm, Autumn Sears, and Jenna Roush, went to the International Competition in Amherst, Mass.

Timm competed in individual booklet writing and Earegood qualified for scenario writing.

With so much success last year, many members have high hopes for this year including sophomore Gage Slagor.

“The last season was good,” Slagor said. “The juniors — now seniors — had a good year and I think they’ll have an even better one this year.”

Slagor hopes to improve booklet writing overall while continuing to have fun and work as a team.

The FPS team started off with its first topic, international travel. The team completes two practice problem booklets Nov. 1 and Dec. 20.

The team submits a third qualifying problem on Jan. 31, 2020.

Other topics include sleep patterns and gamification. Scenario writers will be able to choose to write from any of these topics to write about.

On a different note, the team’s CmPS team is beginning to work on its project for State Bowl.

Mrs. April Yorks, coach, said the team is focused on the environmental issues at Kearsley High School and Armstrong Middle School.

The team also welcomed Mrs. Cindy Sierra as a new coach for CmPS.

New freshman team members bring about excitement to the team.

Freshman Elia Garcia is excited to compete at the high school level.

“It’s a really great opportunity ,” Garcia said, “and I had a lot of fun with it in middle school.”

Garcia believes that she and her team can bring a lot to the table, despite being a three-person team.

Anyone is welcome to join the team.

Meetings are held every Friday from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the administration building.

The team encourages recruits to bring others with them to create a team, but people will find a group either way.

Overall, Yorks expects great things from all the teams and thanks all the supporters the team has generated over the years.

“I have high expectations for this year’s KHS FPS team,” Yorks said. “They are coming off of a successful season last year with strong finishes at both the State Bowl and international competition.

“Our hope is to continue to represent Kearsley High School at the FPS State Bowl and qualify for FPS International in Massachusetts. We appreciate the support of the district and the Kearsley Board of Education.”