Goals, wrestling drive Garvin to succeed

IMAGE / Courtesy of Brandon Garvin

Brandon Garvin, sophomore, poses for a photo. He is an avid wrestler and works hard to improve.

“If I don’t get it done, I’ll keep trying until I do,” sophomore Brandon Garvin said.

Standing at 5 feet 10 inches with an athletic build and short brown hair, Garvin focuses on wrestling and setting goals to get through life.

In first grade, Garvin started to have a taste for wrestling.

“My most memorable moment in wrestling was when I was 7 years old,” Garvin said. “I placed first for the first time, and I remember my family was there to cheer me on.”

Garvin’s family has helped him by giving him hope for his plans and supplying him with all he needs for his passion.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Brandon Garvin
Sophomore Brandon Garvin plans to become a professional wrestler after high school.

“My family has helped me to follow my passion for wrestling by taking me to tournaments that are far away and early in the morning,” Garvin said. “They would stay and support me and even bought me my wrestling gear.”

Garvin’s friend, sophomore Thomas Danko, said he likes the memories and time they spend together while participating in sports.

“My favorite memory with him is at the wrestling lock-in this year. We had a fun time teaching these little kids to wrestle and play basketball,” Danko said.

Growing up, Garvin was into sports like football and baseball.

Out of all the sports he has played, Garvin has always had a talent for wrestling.

“I have always had a passion for wrestling because it’s what I grew up with and got really good at,” Garvin said.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Brandon Garvin
Being part of the wrestling team is one of the achievements that sophomore Brandon Garvin is proud of.

With as much hard work as Garvin has put into his passion, it’s no surprise that he’s good at it.

Garvin said he gets his ambition from his grandpa, Mr. Marvin Terry Jr.

“I’ve always looked up to my grandpa because even though he had hard times, he always worked harder,” Garvin said. “He’s the reason (that) I started setting standards for myself.”

Garvin hopes to grow his wrestling career.

“I’m just trying to reach the peak of my performance,” Garvin said.