Five seniors wrap up high school, look forward to the future

Throughout 12 grueling years of schooling, senior year is typically anticipated the most.

This is the last year students will come together as the Class of 2018 and most students want to make it count.

In this story, five seniors want to say goodbye to the past and welcome the future.

IMAGE / Kate Monreal
Roberto Rose has been able to enjoy his senior year.

Roberto Rose

How has senior year been for you?

For Rose this year has been very enjoyable. He has been able to make new memories and soak in the feelings of youth.

“Senior year has been very relaxed and calm. I’ve enjoyed new experiences and becoming closer with friends,” Rose said. “I’ve had lots of freedom and more down time compared to past years.”

What has been the biggest challenge you’ve seen this year?

“Getting the motivation to do homework and study,” Rose said. “I am in the state of mind that I want to leave high school and continue my life. It has me anxious and excited.”

What are plans and goals for after graduation?

Rose will be attending UM-Flint, unsure of what to study.

“So far I am interested in dentistry,” Rose said. “But, whatever I do, I want to be happy and successful.”

IMAGE / Kate Monreal
 Rayiona Braziel has had a pretty easy senior year.

Rayiona Braziel

How has senior year been for you?

For Braziel, this year has been easy. Her class load is manageable and she knows what to expect.

“It (senior year) has been going pretty good. I feel myself getting lazy due to senioritis, but it’s been easy so far,” Braziel said.

“I’ve had to let go of friends that I was extremely close to because they were toxic to be around,” Braziel said. “I’m tired of feeling obligated to be their friend.”

Braziel plans on attending Ferris State University to study nursing and ethnic studies.

“I’m hoping by the year 2022 I’ll have my nursing degree, so then I can focus on getting my time to become a nurse practitioner,” Braziel said.

IMAGE / Kate Monreal
Caitlyn Link enjoys the comfort this year has given her.

Caitlyn Link

How has senior year been for you?

For Link this year has been comfortable and the least stressful year throughout high school.

“My schedule has been pretty easy, and I think it starts with me being able to choose my own schedule,” Link said.

“The biggest challenge is anticipation for the future,” Link said. “It’s hard to focus when I’m worried about the next stage.”

Link is interested in pre-veterinary studies since animals are her passion.

“I plan on going to Mott Community College to get my basic classes,” Link said. “Later, I will find a university to finish the rest.”

IMAGE / Kate Monreal 
Brad Hintz is making his last year of high school one to remember.

Brad Hintz

How has senior year been for you? 

For Hintz this year has been the best it could be.

“Senior year was fun,” Hintz said. “It really has been everything I hoped it would be.”

What is the biggest challenge you’ve seen this year? 

“The college application process has been the hardest part,” Hintz said. “It’s stressful to think about the next stages of my life.”

In the fall, Hintz will be attending UM-Flint to study pre-law.

“I’ve read some books that are surrounded by pre-law and it has always kind of interested me, so I said, ‘Why not make it a career?'” Hintz said.

Jada Brown

IMAGE / Kate Monreal
Jada Brown experienced some challenges this year but overcame them in the end.

How has senior year been for you? 

“(It) started off really rough because I was in the hospital for two weeks due to my arthritis,” Brown said. “But it has slowly gotten better. I was happy to spend it with the cheer team and my friends.”

“I have had the hardest time getting up and going to school,” Brown said. “Senioritis is a real thing.”

Brown will be attending Mott Community College in the fall but is unsure of what she will study.

“Whatever I decide to do, I want to be successful and happy,” Brown said. “That, after all, is the most important part.”