Freshman year is a big step

IMAGE / Alexa Lippert

Freshman Sarah Bouchard has adjusted to high school.

It can be hard to make the change from middle school to high school.

Sarah Bouchard is one of these many freshmen who had to make the change this year.

There is a huge list of things that are different between middle school and high school.

“It’s a little nerve-racking at first, and high school is when you see people with tattoos, beards, piercings,” Bouchard said. “High school is when you grow up and see things instead of fighting and making childish fights about things.”

Bouchard struggled just liker freshmen to feel comfortable and learn the ropes. She made new friends by getting involved with the school and joining groups and clubs.

“I had my friends. I made friends because of band,” Bouchard said.  “They helped me get through things. They showed me to my classes, told me about my teachers, and simply gave me advice.”

They helped me get through things. They showed me to my classes, told me about my teachers, and simply gave me advice.

— Sarah Bouchard, freshman

For Bouchard, high school was a whole new world. But she didn’t behind in homework even though she was stuck with homework in many subjects.

Bouchard planned what time to start her homework and stuck to it.

She starts her homework around the same time every day.

“I always start my homework around 7:45 (p.m.),” Bouchard said, “and I always start at first hour and work my way to sixth hour.”

Senior Matt Turner feels that many students start their freshman year a little lost, like Bouchard did and said no one will ever be fully prepared for high school.

“Middle school doesn’t prepare you for high school,” Turner said. “In middle school, you just move on even if you’re failing. But when you’re in high school, if you are failing then you are literally failing.”