Social butterfly Dias makes the most of high school

IMAGE / Hannah Hendley

Junior Mickeely Dias poses on her stage — the volleyball court.

You could probably find junior Mickeely Dias on the volleyball court or spending time with friends. Dias is the social butterfly who gets along with everyone.

At home, Dias lives with her brother, Brevin, her mom, Crystal, and her dad, John. Together they all take care of their dog, Sheldon.

The Dias family is pretty close. Dias is three years younger than her brother and said her parents have switched roles.

“My mom is more handy,” Dias said. “And my dad is cooking, scheduling appointments, and asking about boys.”

Now that her brother is in college, they have never been more close.

Dias’ brother is a little more than 130 miles away from home at Grand Valley State University in Allendale, which is west of Grand Rapids.

“I miss him a lot, but he’s my best friend,” Dias said.

Dias and her senior friends Kaitlyn Foco and Desiree Lewis enjoy hanging out with each other at Applebees at least every weekend.

Other times, she’ll be spending time with juniors like Chloe Vollmar, Chloe Clarambeau, and Emily Jones, doing activities like cup pong or eating cookie dough.

Dias and Clarambeau have known each other since preschool.

Like many friendships they slightly drifted apart during elementary school, but now they’re each other’s best friends.

She knows everyone and is able to fit right in wherever.

— Chloe Clarambeau, junior

“We do different things, kind of depending on the season,” Clarambeau said. “In the summer, we swim in my pool a lot, go to the beach, and we like to play tennis.”

Clarambeau said Dias is the kind of friend who just gets along with everyone.

“She knows everyone and is able to fit right in wherever,” Clarambeau said.

Besides spending time with friends outside of school, Dias is on the tennis and volleyball teams.

Since second grade, she has been killing it on the volleyball court.  Dias earned a spot on the varsity team her junior year.

“My mom played in high school and always wanted me to play,” Dias said.

Working her way to the top, Dias started as a middle player, but now enjoys playing as the right blocker.

“I like the feeling of blocking a strong outside hitter,” Dias said. “That’s the best feeling.”

Though her mom was her reason to begin volleyball, Dias said she couldn’t be happier playing many years later.

IMAGE / Hicks Studio of Davison
Junior Mickeely Dias sets herself for a bump.

“Just the feeling like when you’re crushing a team or when you get a kill or an ace, or block a good hitter,” Dias said. “You just feel on top of the world.”

In her sophomore year, Dias also decided to pick up tennis. Besides playing in gym or just for fun, tennis was something new for her.

“A lot of my friends played, and Coach Cory Fisher approached me and told me I should play,” Dias said.

Though it was her first time playing, Dias didn’t break a sweat making it on varsity.

“I wasn’t too nervous,” Dias said. “A lot of tennis is like volleyball.”

Described by Dias, tennis has the same movement on the court as volleyball.

While most average tennis players don’t jump serve, Dias said the jump serve came easier to her since she has been a volleyball player.

Tennis can be much different once it becomes a real match, especially for first time players.

Dias was placed on the No. 4 doubles team with her partner junior Mallory Simms.

Dias said competing in her first tennis match was “nerve-racking,” but she was fortunate enough to have Simms as her partner.

“Having Mallory as a partner is a good choice because she’s really calm,” Dias said. “We mesh really well together.”

Although she has enjoyed these sports, Dias said she has no plans to continue them competitively. But she wouldn’t mind playing for fun.

When it comes to high school, Dias is a well-rounded student. If it isn’t sports or socializing, it’s academics.

IMAGE / Mrs. Kristen Clarambeau
Junior Mickeely Dias (left) and junior Chloe Clarameau show off their NHS certificates after being inducted.

Dias has earned her way to becoming a part of the National Honor Society this year.

The success all started in middle school when she was one of the leaders of the National Junior Honor Society.

With a 3.8 GPA, Dias is currently taking honors chemistry and AP English.

Dias said that being an NHS member is an honor because her mom was a part of it as well.

“I feel like it’s a respected group, too,” Dias said.

Being a member of NHS means taking part in community service to help out the region.

In the near future, Dias plans on taking her education even further by going to college to pursue her dream of becoming a pediatrician.

Dias doesn’t have her heart set on a college yet, but she is looking into Grand Valley State University.

Even though academics are important to Dias, she doesn’t let herself get too serious.

“I would like to say I’m funny,” Dias said. “I always make myself laugh. I’m the funniest person I know.”

Dias is an open person who enjoys making others happy. Not only is she funny, she’s also a kind-heart person. She always tries to find the good in people.

“I put a lot of faith in people and never give up on someone,” Dias said. “I have a lot of compassion.”