A typical senior, Megan DeLong loves friends, swimming, and … tractors?

Senior+Megan+DeLong+peeks+around+a+corner+in+one+of+her+senior+pictures.+

IMAGE / Courtesy of Megan DeLong

Senior Megan DeLong peeks around a corner in one of her senior pictures.

Megan DeLong, senior, is more than just another student trying to get through high school; she’s a role model for those around her.

Throughout our interview, DeLong confidently answered every question asked and was enthusiastic when talking about herself, her hobbies, her interests, and being an assistant coach for the swim team.

Mrs. Renee Kotzian, choir teacher, said DeLong is both the perfect student and friend.

“She’s a fantastic student. She participates actively in class, she’s caring, and, from what I’ve seen, she’s a really great friend,” Kotzian said.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Megan DeLong
Senior Megan DeLong (right) stands with best friends Lapeer sophomore McKenna McDonald (left) and junior Madeline Raysin

While talking with DeLong, it was obvious to see that what was said about her was true.

DeLong has many hobbies she enjoys, but her favorite activities include going camping with best friends junior Madeline Raysin and Lapeer sophomore McKenna McDonald, being an assistant coach for the swim team, and attending tractor shows.

For both DeLong’s freshman and sophomore years, she was an active swimmer on the swim team but decided to stop her junior year due to her alopecia.

Alopecia is a medical condition that causes someone to experience hair loss.

“I swam for freshman and sophomore year but decided to stop in junior year because, although I love swimming, my alopecia was getting in the way,” DeLong said.

Although DeLong’s medical condition forced her to stop swimming, it didn’t stop her from supporting the team.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Megan DeLong
Senior Megan DeLong celebrates with junior Madeline Raysin after a swim meet.

DeLong is an assistant coach for the swim team and she used to be an assistant manager for Davison’s boys swim team.

“I helped set up the swim meets, and, afterwards, I would help clean up,” DeLong said. “And I also ran any errands the coach couldn’t at the time.”

She also teaches middle school swimmers the basics of swimming, like how to control their breathing.

DeLong developed her enjoyment of tractor shows from going to Mid Michigan Old Gas Tractor Association events since she was a child.

“It’s one of the biggest tractor shows in the U.S.,” DeLong said. “I often go with my dad, sister, and two best friends McKenna and Madeline. I look forward to going every single year.”

Her favorite part of the show is watching the midnight tractor pull while the band plays music in the background.

DeLong also started camping at a young age, going almost every weekend in the summer.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Megan DeLong
Senior Megan DeLong holds junior Madeline Raysin as she strikes a pose.

A tradition DeLong and her family have is going to Wolverine campground in Columbiaville every Memorial Day to spend the day on their boat and to go tubing.

Her favorite time to camp is on the Fourth of July with McDonald.

Raysin said DeLong is one of her best friends and always available when she needs her.

“We met because we were both on the swim team, and we’ve been close ever since,” Raysin said. “We do so many things together, like camping, and we help each with home often.”

Raysin said DeLong often gives her food, and that makes her love DeLong even more.

“She’s a very giving person,” Raysin said. “She brings food for me a lot, so that’s a plus of being her friend.”

Overall, DeLong is a person who lives her life to the fullest, no matter what life throws at her.