You can improve your grades: Follow these tips

IMAGE / Wikimedia Commons / Mr. Darrick Puffer

It’s the start of a new semester, students now have a fresh start to make sure their grades are perfect

With exams out of the way, students are excited to stop worrying about daunting tests for a little while.

Now, I need a break from school just as much as the next person, but now that its the second semester, students cannot afford to fall behind.

For those students who already know they struggle with keeping grades up, here are some tips to get you back on track.

1. Always ask for help

Many students don’t get the help they need from teachers because they are too afraid to ask for extra help. Don’t let a little fear get in the way of your school work.

If you feel more conformable, ask your teacher for one-on-one help after school, where the watchful eyes of other students aren’t present.

Or you could even ask one of your fellow classmates for help, as it might be easier to talk with someone who’s around the same age or grade as you.

Junior Madeline Raysin said working with friends helped her get a high grade on her assignment.

“Definitely I would say get in a study group,” Raysin said. “Over the summer I made a study group with some friends and we got a lot of work completed. We helped each other finish our work on time and received a good grade on our assignment.”

2. Ask to redo assignments and tests

Everyone has a few assignments that they’ve completely bombed — maybe just a little more than a few.

If your grade is being negatively affected by low scores on assignments or tests, ask your teacher if there is an alternative assignment or a redo that you could complete instead.

Before redoing an assignment or test, make sure to ask your teacher to explain your mistakes step-by-step so you won’t make the same mistake twice.

3. Practice makes perfect

The more you practice the better you’ll get.

As choir teacher Mrs. Renee Kotzian always says, “Fake it till you make it.”

Whether it be memorizing a math formula or mastering your Spanish speaking skills, you’ll only improve if you complete extra practice.

Take practice tests, quiz yourself to see how much of the work you remember, and have a friend or family member help you study.

4. Less procrastination

“I’ve never procrastinated with my school work,” said no one ever.

We all do it, and it’s hard to avoid.

Try to complete work based on your time schedule. If you know you’ll be busy all week due to sports, a club you’re involved in, or any other reason, ask your teacher if you could get your work early so you can get a head start.

Procrastination leads to stress, which leads to incomplete work and late nights of scrambling to finish your homework.

5. Stay focused and organized

Everyone stays focused in different ways, find what works best for you.

Whether it be having someone to remind you to stay on track, or writing in a planner to remember all of your upcoming projects, staying focused is the key to success.

Junior Joscelyn Burns stays focused by reminding herself that this school year is very important for her. She also listens to music to help focus her mindset.

“Something that helps me stay focused is knowing that this year is my most important year so I pay attention more and set goals for myself and music helps a lot too.”

Being organized is also very important because when you know where things are, like important papers for projects or reviews for tests, your less likely to stress about getting the work completed or done correctly.

The most important thing to remember is to use what best works for you and whatever helps you complete the year with passing grades.