Hawes rolls high in her final year

IMAGE / Megan Millinkov
Senior Barbara Hawes is a smart and kind person who loves to bowl.

Senior Barbara Hawes is a beautiful brunette KHS student.

Throughout her life, Hawes has shaped into a caring, intelligent, athletic, and dedicated individual.

Hawes has a loving family. Her parents are Mr. Douglas Hawes Sr. and Mrs. Claudia Hawes and her siblings are Douglas Jr., Phillip, and Stephanie.

Hawes is the youngest of the four, her oldest sibling being 14 years older.

The youngest of her family is her chocolate lab, Mickey.

“My dog is my baby,” Hawes said. “He actually came from my brother in Kalamazoo.”

IMAGE / Courtesy of Barbara Hawes
Senior Barbara Hawes’ dog, Mickey, at her sister Stephanie’s wedding.

Originally, her dad did not want to keep their dog. He gave them two weeks to find him a home — but it has been nine years since then.

Hawes has made many friends while attending Kearsley, but two of her closest friends in particular share a fondness for Hawes.

Senior Grace Hoffman has been friends with Hawes for most of her life.

“Grace has put up with me since probably before I was 4 years old,” Hawes said. “She’s my pal.”

Hoffman knows Hawes will always be there to watch out for her.

“She cares a lot about her friends and is always looking out for them,” Hoffman said.

The two have been in the same schools since before elementary school.

IMAGE / Ms. Stephanie Hoffman
Barbara Hawes (left) and Grace Hoffman prepare for Kearsley’s 2017 homecoming dance.

When they were 5 years old, they were put into “Group Troop” together, a form of Girls Scouts for those who have not been put into an official troop yet.

Hoffman recalls a memory of Hawes during their childhood.

“We had to make s’mores on this artificial s’more maker and we just became friends,” Hoffman said. “I don’t remember how, but we have just always been (friends since then).”

The pair have been nearly inseparable ever since, having many classes together throughout their middle and high school eduations.

Senior Kaylee Hill is also a close friend of Hawes.

“Kaylee has been my good friend since she moved here,” Hawes said. “We’ve done many sports together.”

Hill feels that Hawes has a motherly personality and is able to recall many memories with her from the past.

“You know that mom that has every picture of everything that has ever happened in your life? That mom is Barbara,” Hill said. “There is nothing better than being able to reminisce our childhood together for many years to come. There is almost always a picture that comes along with a story, and it helps bring back the greatest of memories.”

IMAGE / Mrs. Claudia Hawes
Seniors Kaylee Hill (left) and Barbara Hawes hype each other up before the 2017 seniors vs. sophomores powder puff game.

Hawes participates in many school-related activities, and it is hard for her to choose her favorite. She takes part in bowling, track, DECA, NHS, Student Council, freshman mentoring, and is a student representative on the school board.

“I’m proud of my accomplishments,” Hawes said. “There are so many things to tell.”

Hawes has completed many feats, her most recent accomplishment being her success in bowling.

Hawes has been bowling for a long time and began to play more seriously when she was in seventh-grade.

Over the years, she has bowled high-scoring games within the 270-280 range.

On Sunday, Jan 14., during a tournament at Richfield Bowl, Hawes pulled off a perfect game with a score of 300.

“I was very excited,” Hawes said. “It was a big sense of accomplishment.”

When playing a sport professionally, many athletes strive for perfection. The ultimate feeling of accomplishment is being dedicated and working hard until finally reaching their goals.

IMAGE / Dave Fairman
Senior Barbara Hawes bowls at Holly Lanes during a tournament.

Hawes feels she has finally reached this moment.

In addition, Hawes capped off her senior year in bowling by making it to the final four of the MHSAA Division 2 singles tournament and by leading her team with a high game of 186 and winning the team state championship.

Hawes only wishes to work harder to keep reaching her goals.

“I think everyone is trying to work for that perfect game,” Hawes said. “I had my dream and goal come true.”